Author Topic: Clubsport - Manual gearbox mode  (Read 2332 times)

Offline scMK8Clubsport

• Not said much yet
Clubsport - Manual gearbox mode
« on: 06 May 2021, 09:56 »
Hi All, is there a way to keep the gearbox in manual mode?

Basically, I want the drive mode in Sport but not have it revert to D after a period of time.

Thanks in advance.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Clubsport - Manual gearbox mode
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2021, 10:11 »
Yes, in S mode it doesn't automatically revert to auto once you have used a paddle.

It will only come out of semi-auto mode if you long pull the right hand paddle.

Its also not quite fully manual either - it downshifts for you if it needs to and also upshifts at the red line... unless you get a DSG software tune from a third party (eg TVS)

Remember when you restart the car though it won't be in S mode though. Needs a flick of the chicken nugget each time.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline scMK8Clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2021, 10:36 »
Many thanks, that's helpful.

The 'pops and bangs' seem rather random as well, I'd like that on demand in S and manual but it doesn't always seem to be the case.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2021, 11:08 »
You need to make sure you've got the "engine sound" setting to "sport" - either by selecting full on sport profile or if you are using individual mode make sure you've got the sound setting....

Its not just the old soundaktor that sets, it changes the exhaust note (possibly through a ecu map setting, but nobody knows really).

With the sound setting its louder in D and pops and bangs on over-run downshifts in S.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2021, 16:57 »
Hi Fred. How can I increase the sound setting on the driving Profile as I only have eingine sound as comfort, sport or eco but I can find anywhere to increase the volume. I also can’t change the engine sound or anything in comfort mode or sport mode

ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2021, 17:20 »
Hi Fred. How can I increase the sound setting on the driving Profile as I only have eingine sound as comfort, sport or eco but I can find anywhere to increase the volume. I also can’t change the engine sound or anything in comfort mode or sport mode

Set your drive to whatever mode you want in individual and aslong as you have engine sound set to sport it will pop in all three modes. If you use the preset settings it will only pop in sports mode
« Last Edit: 08 May 2021, 17:25 by Si_Telford »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2021, 18:26 »
Si is spot on.

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2021, 19:18 »

Set your drive to whatever mode you want in individual and aslong as you have engine sound set to sport it will pop in all three modes. If you use the preset settings it will only pop in sports mode
[/quote]

Thanks 🙏 Si
I just got my first Pops Pops, Bang on the way back home twice in succession.

I do think it’s more frequent in the Mk8 clubsport though as I hear it all the time  a white clubsport on my street drives by so much so my wife ask why that GTI sound sportier than my car  😅
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2021, 19:39 »
I use "drive" in comfort in the profile, when you want "sport" you just flick the chicken nugget.

If you set "drive" to sport then the only way of getting back to D mode is to press the profile button and select Comfort. Thats actually harder to do on the move...

Individual mode with sound set to Sport and "drive" set to comfort is the best setup I've found. If you like some of the other things you can change them too - I have DCC and sometimes I tinker with the ride settings, but the roads are so damned terrible I normally don't!

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2021, 09:59 »

Thanks 🙏 Si
I just got my first Pops Pops, Bang on the way back home twice in succession.

I do think it’s more frequent in the Mk8 clubsport though as I hear it all the time  a white clubsport on my street drives by so much so my wife ask why that GTI sound sportier than my car  😅
[/quote

Remember also to warm that engine up and the exhaust for the ultimate 😊