Author Topic: What is everyones most driving mode setting. Eco, Comfort, Sport or Individual  (Read 7073 times)

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
So something else I have discovered today. Any pops from revving the exhaust only works when engine sound is in sport. I thought this was for just pure soundkator noise through the speakers and it was defo not my ears. I set up to sport drive in individual but Eco engine and no pops revving up to 4000rpm but then changed the engine sound back to sport and popping from exhaust. Tried this also with Eco drive and left on Eco engine and nothing then changed to sport engine noise left with Eco and Rev and popping out the exhaust. I was out the car with my foot revving too to hear it clearly. And also as I said the other day that on a warm day by inform system starts up with no freeze or lag

Offline rubberduck

• Not said much yet
So something else I have discovered today. Any pops from revving the exhaust only works when engine sound is in sport. I thought this was for just pure soundkator noise through the speakers and it was defo not my ears. I set up to sport drive in individual but Eco engine and no pops revving up to 4000rpm but then changed the engine sound back to sport and popping from exhaust. Tried this also with Eco drive and left on Eco engine and nothing then changed to sport engine noise left with Eco and Rev and popping out the exhaust. I was out the car with my foot revving too to hear it clearly. And also as I said the other day that on a warm day by inform system starts up with no freeze or lag

Some other people on YouTube noticed this as well, when in sport the 'soft limiter' appears to also let you rev slightly higher, which might be responsible?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
That's interesting....so the "turn down the fake noise to hear for the real noise" actually is incorrect advice lol.

That's a nice bit of detective work.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular

Some other people on YouTube noticed this as well, when in sport the 'soft limiter' appears to also let you rev slightly higher, which might be responsible?

I'm glad I wasn't just hearing things 😂. You learn something new everyday

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
That's interesting....so the "turn down the fake noise to hear for the real noise" actually is incorrect advice lol.

That's a nice bit of detective work.

That's why I did it Fred, turn down the fake noise in the cabin to hear the pops better and even know it still sounds good without that much of fakery I can only get the pops to work when in sports engine sound, I was thinking is this just my car or everyone's. I've tested again and same result. I'm mind blown 😂

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
I wonder what causes it then? It has to be something deliberate.

On the original mk7 gtd they used to have an option called "sport and sound". This was a little misunderstood option for a long time but it actually had a sound generator unit in the exhaust. It wasn't subtle by all accounts. On max setting it could out chav a whole mcdonald's carpark or wake up every neighbour for miles. On a diesel...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
Oh and also, yes cold temperature definitely does make the infotainment system laggy. The mk7 was like that too, certainly with the first generation of its mib units.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
I wonder what causes it then? It has to be something deliberate.

On the original mk7 gtd they used to have an option called "sport and sound". This was a little misunderstood option for a long time but it actually had a sound generator unit in the exhaust. It wasn't subtle by all accounts. On max setting it could out chav a whole mcdonald's carpark or wake up every neighbour for miles. On a diesel...

😂😂😂 Creased at that. Honestly totally has me baffled but I've done it with Eco Drive and Sport Sound and it even pops at 3.5 - 4.0 rpm in Eco so what I thought was just a sound generator through a speaker seems to me it controls your popping on your exhaust. Honestly blew my mind it has. I'm just wondering if everyone's is the same or mine is controlling something faulty 😂

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
I'm blaming you for the moaning from Mrs G just now.... Have been out and tested it on the drive.

She's not happy, but you are spot on. It definitely does exactly what you said.

I wonder why?

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
I'm blaming you for the moaning from Mrs G just now.... Have been out and tested it on the drive.

She's not happy, but you are spot on. It definitely does exactly what you said.

I wonder why?

Phew glad I wasn't going mad Fred, I'm finding it strange as it seems on other forums even though not much about the MK 8's and more 7 and 7.5 mentions that all that does is defo speaker sport noise and it pops in just sport mode even the sound on Normal, maybe it's something that has changed on the MK, hope you didn't wake the neighbours 🤣 because mine would have been sick of me with testing, thing is I like that pop which means I need to leave it on to sport, I mean just switching to Eco sound you can hear the normal engine noise better but no pops :(, It's defo a strange one but glad I've noticed it.