Author Topic: not much power !  (Read 1748 times)

Offline vr6mk2

• Not said much yet
not much power !
« on: 25 July 2003, 10:45 »
is it true that if you remove the catalytic converter on the vr6 you LOSE power. you'd think you would gain some. heard some conflicting opinions from people! any ideas anyone as my car doesn't seem to go that well and doesn't have a cat. either. whats the truth. cheers.

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
Re:not much power !
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2003, 19:13 »
Gave a friend of mine a hand fitting a VR6 (AAA ithink) into his MK2 and we left out the cat. We had some power loss that we traced down to a faulty O2 sensor. We replaced the sensor and the car was tested on a dyno, and made 190 hp at the flywheel(calculated). I doubt that removing the cat will decrease the power, so if your down on power look at the basics first, filters, plugs, etc. They were hard on ht leads, could it be a missfire?. Hope this helps , Steve.

Offline vr6mk2

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2003, 15:44 »
its probably not the cat itself then but probably the oxygen senser (is that called the lambda probe?)  that maybe missing and thats mucking things up. anyone know where it is usually to be found ! cheers.

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2003, 20:37 »
As far as I know, all these systems use a lamda sensor,and they need it(could be wrong). There should be a white 4 pin plug (pins inline) that connects to the sensor. Use only genuine sensor  and find a nut the same thread  as the sensor, drill a hole about 15 cm from the manifold down pipe (not the manifold side) weld the nut to the pipe, screw in the sensor and connect, Hope this helps. Steve