Author Topic: Handbrake slipping  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Async

• Not said much yet
Handbrake slipping
« on: 17 July 2003, 11:07 »
Hello all, I have a problem with my handbrake on my 8v, If i put it on as normal, it sometimes just slips and goes down, meaning I just leave it in gear all the time, without using the handbrake. Is it going to cost me an arm and a leg or is not such a nightmare. All help appreciated. ???

Offline stoat

• GTI forum regular
Re:Handbrake slipping
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2003, 11:09 »
do you pull it up as high as it can go, or does it pull tight at a sensible level
MK3 GTI 8V

Offline Async

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2003, 12:35 »
It pulls tight as normal, but if you was to clip it with your hand, it knocks it off.

Offline adyh

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2003, 10:37 »
sounds like your ratchet is loose . I dont know but these things are never very expensive.

::)

Offline stoat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2003, 15:41 »
if you pull of the cover and have a look it might just be a loose bolt or something like that.  It could be one of the ractchet teeth broken I managed to break one of mine during a passionate moment in my car lol
MK3 GTI 8V

Offline Async

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2003, 16:20 »
Is it easy to fix, or would I need to take it to the garage to be raped for my money  ???

Offline adyh

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2003, 17:39 »
should be fairly easy , go and buy a haynes manual and do some investigation of where this bit is in the car (it should be accessable from above )

Offline Async

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2003, 09:00 »
Thanks for the advice people, I invested in the manual yesterday, and it looks fairly easy. I shall give it a try at the w/end. :D