Author Topic: Wobbly electric window  (Read 894 times)

Offline scooter perv

• GTI forum regular
Wobbly electric window
« on: 02 May 2009, 16:10 »
A few months ago I posted that my offside window was jammed down and I couldnt get it up again and after some good advice from here I was able to give the door a few thumps and it went up. Since its got a bit warmer weather the window has decided to work again but although it goes down ok it gets jammed going up. It tends to tilt to one side and if I straighten it evey few inches I can get it up again. I took the panel off today and noticed that theres a lot of play in this area of the mechanism and the window wobbles about quite a bit

Any advice please? Do I need to buy a new part for it?Is this a part only fitted to electric windows or standard on non electric? There seem to be some  elongated slots behind the bolts but even when I push the window tight to the right and do the bolts up its still as wobbly as hell. Ive put a bit of chalk on the window felt to help it close but think I need to get it sorted properly.

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Wobbly electric window
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2009, 11:05 »
Mine has a lot of play too, its just the design. The window rubbers are what guide it up.

But if yours is pinching halfway up, it sounds like the window isn't fitted straight. There's a post buried in here about the exact distance the window needs to be mounted from the rubbers to stop wind noise, water leakage and wobbly going up.

Get some copper slip on the moving rails anyway - with all the water pouring into MK2 doors, that mechanism gets awfully dry.

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2009, 11:17 »
are the rails/ guides straight? as i had this problem beat them about abit and all ok now!

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2009, 11:19 »
 :lipsrsealed: @ cookie

Offline scooter perv

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2009, 17:51 »
The window was fine up till winter then it stopped working. I managed to get it up a few times by banging the door but it went up tilted with the window towards the front of the car refusing to move so I done the window up an inch at a time and forced it up on the side that dropped. I took the panel off to take a look yesterday and powdered up the channel so it would move a bit easier. There is now a lot of play and I have to hold the window up (towards the front of the car) as I do the window up or it will tilt and jamm..if that makes it clearer  :huh:

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2009, 17:13 »
crack them 2 bolts loose and wiggle the window in the channel, there is a bit of adjustment there but cant promise it'll fix your prob.
i had same issue on my driver, i replaced the front guide channnel and that sorted it :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.