Author Topic: Newbie Q's  (Read 3778 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Just got here
Newbie Q's
« on: 06 July 2003, 13:05 »
First things first, hello all!

I'm looking to get rid of my Scooby and go back to my hot hatch roots and have taken quite a fancy to Mark III GTI's in black  ;D. I've got a few questions if you'd be so kind.

1. What are the true performance figures for the 16v i.e. 0-60, Qutr mile, top end etc?
2. I read on another post that the GTI 16v is detuned, is that true?
3. Can you put induction kits on OK? does it cause any known problems?
4. Whats the servicing costs like and service intervals?
5. I'm looking around the 95/96 year so you get PAS/ABS as standard.

Sorry for all the q's.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Offline brains

• GTI forum regular
  • why didnt i buy a ford, like my dad told me????
Re:Newbie Q's
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2003, 19:54 »
hello dan,

cant answer all questions but will give it a go,

1. top end on my standard mks gti is 130mph
2. heard the same as you
3. have piper cross fitted, takes about ten minutes with no problems.
4. im about 90 quid for full service every year

had a few hot hatches in the past corsa gsi, pug 306 xsi, etc but the golf is the best by a long shot, nice to drive and built like a tank.

great choice of car ;)

cheers brains,
when i grow up i want to be a VR6

Offline dannyboy

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2003, 21:53 »
Thanks your reply mate.

Do fitting induction kits cause any problems?

Cheers

Dan

Offline brains

• GTI forum regular
  • why didnt i buy a ford, like my dad told me????
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2003, 07:59 »
none that i have found yet.
and thats a year it's been on.
when i grow up i want to be a VR6

Offline Pimpster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2003, 10:11 »
Just a quick query. good choice with a golf, but i drove a few scoobys and they're great - why change to a golf from a scooby?

Offline dannyboy

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2003, 22:57 »
Hi Pimpster,

Basically I'm getting a pay out from an accident that happened a long time ago and I've decided I want to clear my car loan, sell the Scooby, buy something cheaper but still fun, and not have any car loan, as having a car loan and now a mortgage to pay is becoming a little painful on the pocket.

I've added the Golf to the short list of replacements, as I want some fun!

Short Listed so far

VW Golf GTi 16v (Mark 3)

Fun, good performance and build quality and surprisingly cheap insurance.

Nissan Almera GTI

Same as Golf i.e. good performance and quality

Pug 306 GTI 6

Good performance but shabby build quality and expensive insurance

I think I've written the Pug off the list from past experience of Pug build quality (Brand new 106, went back 27 times in 2 and half years (3 major faults)

I think the Golf is in the lead as its a good all rounder i.e. performance, mpg, style, build quality, and cost.

Cheers

Dan

Offline Pimpster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2003, 09:18 »
Totally understandable!

I love my cars but dont share the same 'bankrupt yourself for a car' view as some of my friends. One of my mates has a Sunny GTI-R. Very very quick. but turbo's just gone - ?1200 bill. with more things going wrong. Just not worth it. Another friend has a Alfa GTV 3.0v6. gorgeous car, but we nickname it Alfragile for obvious reasons!!!

For a little info i had a Pug 306 xsi 135bhp model. a lot nicer all round to drive than my golf, but a ?1200 bill at the 4 yr service point for bits and pieces along with the rattle just did it for me. sold it for a golf! like the golf. shame the engines a bit rough but thats the 8v for you......

I drove a 306gti and it was great. but like you said, build quality is not great. and the parts or more than they are for a golf.

Almera- good choice. not many people know or like them coz they're quite bland, but it will be reliable and they are pretty pokey with great handling - check the anti roll bar across the boot! Cheap as well.

But women dont really say a lot when you say you;ve got a nissan... just ask my friend!!! ;)
« Last Edit: 08 July 2003, 09:19 by Pimpster »

Offline dannyboy

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2003, 11:12 »
Agreed, the Almera doesn't give off a cool image, whereas the Golf gets you instant coolness.

The problems with the Almera is cost to get a good one your looking around 6k, to get a good golf your looking around 3/4k, so I think I might have a look at some Golf's. Just waiting for my solicitor to pull her finger out and get me my money then flog the Scooby doo and then go car shopping. Can't wait :D

What do you mean when you say "shame the engines a bit rough but thats the 8v for you......" does that apply for the 16v too?

Cheers

Dan

Offline Pimpster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2003, 12:33 »
My Pug was 16v and at about 3000 rpm the second 8 valves kicked in and was a lot 'growlier' (!).

however the 8v is quite harsh and not very vocally nice. I have a friend who has one and its the same so figure it must be the way it is. Its mostly pretty horrid at 3-4000 rpm. It doesnt sound ill, just old and rough. However, the engine design is pretty old so i suppose you expect it.

The 16v i would anticipate being better but i'd just be guessing. any 16v owners care to enlighten us?

And are there any other 8v owners who's cars sound a 'little rough'?

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2003, 13:41 »
I know what you mean Pimpster about the 8v engine. I have a 97 P, which doesnt really sound rough at 3-4k rpm, but it also doesnt have a nice growl to it. I think it may be partly due to the exhaust as not the best quality, but it sounds like its blowing at the manifold but checked and no leaks. I know I need to repair the cat heat shield as the hole has corroded around where one of the bolts holds it on to the cat. Saying that when you do increase the revs to 5k + it does sound better. But on idle you sometimes wonder whether the engine is  running it is that smooth. Still perfectly happy with it though!!