Author Topic: 1991 8v Gti Top Suspension Mounts  (Read 3008 times)

Offline modulater

• I live here
Re:1991 8v Gti Top Suspension Mounts
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2003, 21:43 »
DO NOT buy German and Swedish top mounts, I replaced mine about 6 months ago when I fitted my Eibach springs and now the car is really skittish and theres a tight spot in the steering, I removed the plastic covers from the top mounts and theres a huge gap, the rubber has sunk and the mount has no play in it, also the bearing is tight which is playing havoc on the steering. I will be replacing them this week with original parts.
As for the strut top mounts, there are 2 part numbers listed on ETKA, I think one is for normal golfs and the other is for cars like the Rallye and the Country, I assume the rubber is a slightly harder compound to cope with the extra stresses placed on the car from having 4 wheel drive. I'll dig deeper and post what I find.

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2003, 21:52 »
I thought I had better add that the reason I fitted Eibach springs was to replace the BOGE kit I had fitted about a year before which was also from German and Swedish, this kit had been nothing but trouble and now resides in my shed, I would sell it on but I don't want to lumber some other poor sod with it, I know what your saying about the parts being cheap but it really is a false economy as you will have to replace them again and again.
I used to use German and Swedish all the time when I had my first car about 11 years ago but I have found that since doing french car parts they have got greedy and are cutting corners on the quality of parts, I want to retain the build quailty of my car and so original parts make the most sense for me in the long run.

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2003, 21:23 »
On ETKA the following becomes clear.

strut top mounting.    191 412 329   normal models.

strut top mounting     357 412 341   PG engine number.

The PG engine code is the code of the super charger engine fitted to Rallye and G60.

So going by this it would indicate that the higher performing golfs have harder compound rubber for the strut top mounts. Also its interesting to note that the spring top cap that holds the top of the spring and which the mount sits on also is different on the PG engined vehicles so maybe this also is made of stronger metal.