Author Topic: Golf GTI MkII Steering  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Steven100

• Not said much yet
Golf GTI MkII Steering
« on: 25 June 2003, 23:35 »
Hi
I have a 1986 Golf GTI. The problem is that everytime I accelerate the car, (without moving the steering wheel) the car moves to the right. When I take my foot off the accelerator it drives straight again. This can be mostly felt during motorway driving. I have had the tracking adjusted (camber included), new tyres, and changed all the rubber bushes on the wishbone.

Can anyone help. I'm completely stuck?

Many thanks

steven.

Offline stew8vmk2golf

• Not said much yet
Re:Golf GTI MkII Steering
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2003, 23:46 »
dont know all that much about the problem with golfs, but i had an xr3i that did the same thing, it turned out to be something to do with the brakes, the calipers were gripping and got worse when accelerating, if it happens when braking quite harshly this may be the problem ???

Offline Steven100

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2003, 18:51 »
Hi
Tested the brakes, and checked the calipers and their both fine. Not gripping at all.

Not too sure what else to change? I looked into changing the steering rack, but when I had that tested by a speciallist it was fine, and he said what I have is 'torque steering' .

Does anybody else have this problem? Is it common on Golfs?

Offline stew8vmk2golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2003, 15:19 »
not really going to help you out with sorting the problem but this link relates to the history of the mk3, it shows that it was fitted with a traction control system to reduce torque steer. This may suggest that it was a common problem with the mk2. also if u type in torque steer in ask jeeves it gives a link which relates to it being caused by a loose suspension part.

Offline stew8vmk2golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2003, 15:22 »
ah yes the link would be useful  http://www.golfinger.co.uk/history-mk3.htm    :-[