Author Topic: front passenger airbag  (Read 2064 times)

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
front passenger airbag
« on: 20 June 2007, 22:17 »
my passenger asked me where the front airbag deploys and after looking around the front of the passenger side of the dash I cant work it out...there is no 'hatch' or panel for it to come out from....anyone know ?...just wondering :-)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: front passenger airbag
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2007, 22:40 »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2007, 22:43 »
yea, but cant see how it gets through the dash as there's no panel to break away...oh well..as long as it does if it's needed.

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2007, 07:17 »
I was also wondering about that the other day. Unless it splits the dash in half I cant see possibly see where it  comes out.  :undecided:

But like you said. As long as it does its job then its cool.

Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2007, 07:38 »
Cool pic... I noticed there were heaps of 'airbag' tags in the car - now I can see how they work!
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2007, 09:15 »
I think they do burst out of the dash which has hidden weakspots in it's structure so it opens as designed.

Must be safe to say that if the airbag goes off it will cost a lot to fix, but I guess they assume 99% will be on insurance.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2007, 17:39 »
What he said the dash is weak in certain spots and it splits the dash as it comes out. Its the more modern way of doing it. The down side is you have to replace the dash when it goes off.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2007, 18:06 »
What he said the dash is weak in certain spots and it splits the dash as it comes out. Its the more modern way of doing it. The down side is you have to replace the dash when it goes off.

Chances are if you hit something hard enough to deploy the airbag, its gonna cost you a lot anyway!!!
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline Cass

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2007, 20:06 »
Chances are if you hit something hard enough to deploy the airbag, its gonna cost you a lot anyway!!!

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Now: VW Touareg Altitude V6 TDI 3.0 240 bhp, Diamond Pearlescent Black
Previous: MY2007 GTI, 3 door, manual, pearlescent black and lots of toys - gone to a good home : )

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2007, 22:26 »
yes the passenger airbag does explode through the dash and would destroy the covering at least. if you look carefully on some cars, there is sometimes a faint outline of where the weak point is.  :smug:
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)