Author Topic: going through puddles and car dies  (Read 388 times)

Offline welshdean

• GTI forum regular
going through puddles and car dies
« on: 21 March 2013, 19:14 »
When I drive through puddles that splash up around the bumper (ish ) the car has a heart attack and nearly dies. It bogs right down and splutters like chitty chitty bang bang. This is ridiculous, it then just revs and hardly moves atall.

What could be the problem ?

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
Re: going through puddles and car dies
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2013, 19:23 »
Do you have an induction kit fitted?

Offline welshdean

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2013, 19:27 »
No mate, everything is bog standard

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2013, 19:28 »
What engine is it?

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2013, 19:40 »
I'd be checking around the exhaust, do you have all the shielding under the car still? Or can you look up into the engine bay from underneath
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Blackie20vt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2013, 19:44 »
I had this a couple months back, just kept spluttering and then stalling. i just pulled over and after 30 mins tried again then it was okay, water must of dried out.

Offline welshdean

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2013, 19:54 »
The engine is a 2.0 gti

I'm unable to get to the underneath of the car at the moment . What do I need to look for around the exhaust. And please keep the suggestions coming

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2013, 20:08 »
Leaks is what you are looking for, water getting in would explain the symptoms leave  it idling and cup your hand around any joins and if you have a leak you will feel it, if you cover the exhaust with a rag and it cuts out no leaks, but I personally prefer the first method
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)