Author Topic: 1990 Gti Cabriolet Stalling  (Read 1240 times)

Offline bentert

• GTI forum regular
1990 Gti Cabriolet Stalling
« on: 29 March 2009, 16:36 »
Hey MK1 fans,
I have been mainly looming about in the MK3 forum as I have a daily mk3 at the moment great fun. BUT I have been looking at my MK1 GTi Cabriolet thinking that in the summer when I am over in France that I would like to get it road worthy again.
So before I drove it over on the 600 mile trip it was fine, but its been dry stored for 2 years.
The breaks seem to be fine but it had a ball ache of a problem stalling.
SO advice.
I have a new fuel filler neck as I know there are sh!tty and rust and fill the car tank full of sh!t, how difficult are they to replace.
Also the rear petrol pump is making so shady noises, SO again how difficult are they to take off and replace?
I was thinking of removing the petrol tank and cleaning that out as well, how difficult would that be?

Maybe new spark plugs, oil filter, oil change and petrol filter???

Thanks in advance guys.

Tony

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: 1990 Gti Cabriolet Stalling
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2009, 09:37 »
filler neck is dead easy, 3 screws behind the trim round the filler opening, screw in inner arch and big rubber pipe to disconnect to tank and a smaller pipe for the tank vent.  pump is also easy, bracket held onto car with a couple of nuts.

Take the pump off and check the inlet side, some of them have a little filter in, if yours does its probably blocked. also remove the accumulator/reservoir and clean this out with fresh fuel. Take out the lift pump while you're there, its under the round metal flap under the rear seat.

While the lifter pump is oiut have a good look in the tank, shine a torch in there see if you can spot any crud. drop a speaker magnet on a string in there in and drive it for a week, pull it out and check for rusticles. clean it off and repeat till it comes out clean.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline dan_b998

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2009, 01:36 »
where do you get them plastic filler necks from as i want to change mine just to save hassle in the future or would i be better off gettin a stainless steel one i see a stainless one go on ebay for £30 would a plastic one be cheaper or roundabout the same prce

also is the tank easy to take off and clean out

as my caby is off the road for the next year while i restore it and mod it 

so i cant do the magnet and drive for a week trick

Offline Stone0311

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2009, 12:12 »
I hadn't realised my lift pump filter had dropped of into the tank - caused loads of issues.
Mite be worth checking - not sure all of them have it tho