Author Topic: *36 sec* Why the Golf GTi is better than the R *ironic*  (Read 14809 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: *36 sec* Why the Golf GTi is better than the R ;)
« Reply #40 on: 12 June 2017, 16:41 »
I care as much about having a tow bar as I do about staring at dials going round and 0-60 times :wink:

But you still read the thread and commented on it. :grin:
Didn't know what it was until I clicked the link.
I should have known better.....and you have to comment don't you :laugh:

I did have to comment as I read the thread with much interest once I knew it was about tow bars. In my opinion, both the GTI and .:R are completely useless as family cars.In fact any Golf for that matter. My Amarok on the other hand...
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 12 June 2017, 17:31 »
I care as much about having a tow bar as I do about staring at dials going round and 0-60 times :wink:

But you still read the thread and commented on it. :grin:
Didn't know what it was until I clicked the link.
I should have known better.....and you have to comment don't you :laugh:

I did have to comment as I read the thread with much interest once I knew it was about tow bars. In my opinion, both the GTI and .:R are completely useless as family cars.In fact any Golf for that matter. My Amarok on the other hand...
A Golf can accommodate a couple kids folded up in the back and a few Sainsbury's bags in the cargo hold, plus a couple suitcases on odd occasions I'm blackmailed into spending some of my car fund on something that depreciates in value faster than a Golf R (a holiday), so works fine for me. What does a family car need more than that?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 12 June 2017, 18:08 »
You CAN order a UK Golf R with Tow hitch.....£685 on the VW UK configurator....

Estate...which happens to better handling (IMOH) than the hatch & carries more luggage....

""Tow Bar detachable including installation kit - (vehicles without towing hitch preparation)""

WTF?!?!, now is my video not true.. :sad: :sad: :grin:.

But only on the Estaste and not so nice folding.. :grin:

This is great news!. Now can you R owners drive like this legal in Uk. But not in Sweden yet.. :angry:

My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 13 June 2017, 08:02 »

No lighting board.

That's one tail heavy trailer. Cars should be loaded with their engines at the front of the trailer.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 13 June 2017, 08:21 »

A Golf can accommodate a couple kids folded up in the back and a few Sainsbury's bags in the cargo hold, plus a couple suitcases on odd occasions I'm blackmailed into spending some of my car fund on something that depreciates in value faster than a Golf R (a holiday), so works fine for me. What does a family car need more than that?

My comment was very much tongue in cheek, but having just about managed to cram the boot of my Passat estates full, loaded 4 bikes on the roof and a 1500kg caravan hitched up to the back for a last 10 years or so, the pick up is kit lugging luxury.

When we were in the queue for the ferry early this year, we were next to a family with 2 fair sized teenage boys, all their stuff and 3 bikes all in/on and Mk2 Golf. It's hard to believe that 30 years ago, my little Mk2 would have been a regular family car.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: *36 sec* Why the Golf GTi is better than the R *ironic*
« Reply #45 on: 13 June 2017, 08:34 »
4 of us when to the south of Spain in an Audi S4 convertible years ago. There was no chance we were going to get all our clothes in the boot so we got them into two boxes and sent them by DHL, I forget exactly what it cost but it was somewhere around £40 for the two boxes.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 13 June 2017, 10:07 »
We had a Volvo V70 before the Golf. But we have never had to have more Space than the Golf can offer :).

Just one kid but, but i have a tow bar ;)  :grin: :grin: :grin:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 13 June 2017, 15:17 »

My comment was very much tongue in cheek, but having just about managed to cram the boot of my Passat estates full, loaded 4 bikes on the roof and a 1500kg caravan hitched up to the back for a last 10 years or so, the pick up is kit lugging luxury.

When we were in the queue for the ferry early this year, we were next to a family with 2 fair sized teenage boys, all their stuff and 3 bikes all in/on and Mk2 Golf. It's hard to believe that 30 years ago, my little Mk2 would have been a regular family car.
I was being tongue in cheek too, my grandparents managed with an original Mini way back when and yet nowadays we seem to be obliged to carry all sorts with us and never have enough space.
I don't think ability to tow a caravan the size of a house counts towards 'small family car' abilities though, unless your family come from a certain 'ethnic/lifestyle' background who are free to do as they please and it's impossible/illegal to criticise them.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #48 on: 13 June 2017, 15:39 »
One of my personal pet hates is when someone has their first kid and decides they can't manage without a people carrier :rolleyes:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #49 on: 13 June 2017, 16:23 »
I don't think ability to tow a caravan the size of a house counts towards 'small family car' abilities though, unless your family come from a certain 'ethnic/lifestyle' background who are free to do as they please and it's impossible/illegal to criticise them.

You'll need a Transit tipper with greedy boards for that.

One of my personal pet hates is when someone has their first kid and decides they can't manage without a people carrier :rolleyes:

More often than not a Zafira with baby on board stickers and Winnie the Poo sunshades.