Author Topic: Just ordered a new Mk 6 GTi  (Read 6406 times)

Offline andykram

• I live here
Just ordered a new Mk 6 GTi
« on: 26 May 2009, 19:48 »
Despite saying I would never buy another Golf after 2 really rubbish Mark 4s I placed an order for a Mark 6 GTi yesterday. Drove it round the country roads near the dealer and was hooked. Absolutely loved it. It was in red with the 18 inch wheels so I thought it looked stunning.
Did I get a deal? Well, I got the price of the extras I ordered (about £900) knocked off and also got a lot more for my part ex than when I inquired about a Scirocco last November (the market has changed for good used cars, obviously to my advantage). So I was happy although I wish I'd been even cheekier than I was. What Car are quoting a grand off on their target price so I didn't think I was too far off.
It's due for September 1st so can't wait now. Yes it's expensive but I just thought sod it, life's too short. I'd also driven the Civic Type R and the Astra VXR and I have to say this is miles better han either of them in my opinion.
One question though. Is this engine chain driven or belt driven?

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
Re: Just ordered a new Mk 6 GTi
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2009, 19:52 »
The engine is belt driven...

Good choice of colour!! Sounds like a spot on car. Bet you can't wait!!! Sod the cost, as you say live is for living!  :cool:
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline ronnie'C'

• Here all the time
  • MKVI GTi and a MK3 VR6 (lhd)
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2009, 21:11 »
I was going to wait till the '59' plate came before I got my gti delivered but thought whats the point. I want the car asap  :smiley:

Offline jdjd

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2009, 22:23 »
Funny watching all new buyers delivery dates drop. Few few weeks ago was told mine and a few others were arriving at end of July. Now its Sept 1st. However if its not here by 30th July. Im going to wait on registering it till sept 1st

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2009, 05:27 »

Good choice of colour!! Sounds like a spot on car. Bet you can't wait!!! Sod the cost, as you say live is for living!  :cool:

The mk6 engine is actually chain driven, the mk6 engines are quite different to the mk5s.

But yeah, I agree with the second bit!!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2009, 10:08 »

The mk6 engine is actually chain driven, the mk6 engines are quite different to the mk5s.

But yeah, I agree with the second bit!!!

Your right!! my mistake  :embarassed:

If anyone wants to get to know the new EA888 engine in detail, there is a good write up of it in the new VW Driver mag  :wink:
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2009, 13:58 »
I originally ordered a red one but overnight I changed my mind and have stumped up the £395 for metallic carbon grey. I thought the red one was stunning in the showroom but I remember having a bump in my old Mark 3 red one and the panel match was shocking. A friend of mine who's a printer told me red is a notriously difficult colour to match because it has so many hues and that my Mark 3 was a "blue" red whereas the workshop had painted it with a "yellow" red. Now this is printing speak and may be complete rubbish but without doubt, under yellow street lights, the new panel was different to the rest of the car. Admittedly this is 10 years ago and paint matching may be better now but I'm sure it'll look equally great in this carbon grey.
My options were the 18 inch alloys, cruise control and a luxury pack. It's pretty scandalous that for £22.5k you don't get these but I could just about justify them. As opposed to leather, sat nav etc. etc. which makes it a seriously expensive car.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2009, 14:01 »
I've never understood why its so hard to match paints, cant you goto the dealer of a car to get the colour code, take that to the repair shop to order the specific colour you need ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2009, 14:05 »
I agree. But if you'd have seen my Mark 3 repair you'd have been gobsmacked at how different it was. And that came out of a VW dealer!!!
On a different tack i just bought a match pot of magnolia paint to touch up some marks in the house. it may as well have been bright pink it was that different. In the end I've had to buy an "Ivory Cream" to match the current magnolia - how can that be?
I'm sure someone in the know will be along shortly to tell us the technicalities of it all.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2009, 14:39 »
I agree. But if you'd have seen my Mark 3 repair you'd have been gobsmacked at how different it was. And that came out of a VW dealer!!!
On a different tack i just bought a match pot of magnolia paint to touch up some marks in the house. it may as well have been bright pink it was that different. In the end I've had to buy an "Ivory Cream" to match the current magnolia - how can that be?
I'm sure someone in the know will be along shortly to tell us the technicalities of it all.

Many many years ago I had a white Pug 205 GTI 1.9, got a scratch on a side panel, the painters did a lovely job spraying it with no masking lines or overspray but the colour match was dreadful in certain lights. My next car was a mk2 Golf GTI (we're going back to about 1992 here) in white, and that had a different white on one door, caused me no end of annoyance as nobody could match it to the original despite using VW paint.
And as for magnolia walls, I painted the hallway and dining room this colour a few years ago, first two tins were exactly the same, the third was more of a yellow colour, so I share your grief andykram.

Back on topic, I still can't get my head round the pricing on the whole mk5.5 Golf range to be honest. I take my hat of to VW though, everywhere is in recession, other makers are slashing prices to get sales, and VW bring in a barely facelifted model, market it as 'all new' and hike the price handsomely - and peeps are rushing out to buy them. No wonder VW shares are so expensive. Genius.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner