Author Topic: Leather vs Cloth Seats  (Read 16289 times)

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
Re: Leather vs Cloth Seats
« Reply #30 on: 30 September 2018, 12:31 »
drove +5000km down to Spain and Portugal and never once did the seats feel hot or sticky and despite all the warnings from those without leather it isn't cold in the winter.

Are you for real?  Drove my mate's TT with leather for 10 minutes and even tho a beautiful car all around, that did it for me, what a total waste of money that is... Spain and Portugal pretty much same weather as in Cyprus so i seriously doubt it that they were not hot or sticky. 
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #31 on: 02 October 2018, 10:16 »
drove +5000km down to Spain and Portugal and never once did the seats feel hot or sticky and despite all the warnings from those without leather it isn't cold in the winter.

Are you for real?  Drove my mate's TT with leather for 10 minutes and even tho a beautiful car all around, that did it for me, what a total waste of money that is... Spain and Portugal pretty much same weather as in Cyprus so i seriously doubt it that they were not hot or sticky.

To be honest, the leather in mine was fine for the year I had it in Cyprus. Admittedly I always had the sunshade up when I parked it anywhere but it was actually fine. Rarely got to the point of being uncomfortable even on the hottest days.

As said previously, it's all down to personal preference but some of the childish comments above (and in other threads) really make me realise why I'm not as active on this forum as I once was...
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #32 on: 02 October 2018, 14:54 »

To be honest, the leather in mine was fine for the year I had it in Cyprus. Admittedly I always had the sunshade up when I parked it anywhere but it was actually fine. Rarely got to the point of being uncomfortable even on the hottest days.

As said previously, it's all down to personal preference but some of the childish comments above (and in other threads) really make me realise why I'm not as active on this forum as I once was...
Make that two of us :sad:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 02 October 2018, 16:37 »
I think the upgraded interiors are very nice on the GTI, with Art Velour and red perforated leather on the 7.5 both look great and lift the feel of the interior.

It's a personal choice. As it is with everything option which is why they are called options.

I like the tartan and it suits the car so no complaints by me. If mine had happened to have turned up with the leather I wouldn't have complained either... well, with the summer we had maybe I would have!!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 02 October 2018, 17:31 »
I must say that we didn't find the plastic seats in the Tig a problem in the hot weather. Either in this country, or in the mid 30's in France.

I only have it because the car had it. It wasn't the difference between choosing one car or another, and if specing a new car, I don't think it it would be on my options list.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 02 October 2018, 18:15 »

it all comes down to personal preference.  from personal experience living for 40 years in a country with 40 degrees in the shade, leather is not a good option.  Maybe you were lucky and was here when the summer was mild enough,  no need to get skirmish over it tho and no harm intended.  UK weather is definitely different even in the 'hot' summer months so maybe not such an issue and if people like it then it's their choice. 
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline Dunc245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 02 October 2018, 18:20 »
Sooo, after all that.... :smiley:

To the OP: did you get info that helped you choose? What did you go for?
GTI PP 245; Atlantic Blue, Art Velours, Climate windscreen, KSS, genuine 18" Black Pretoria.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 02 October 2018, 20:33 »

You never were much fun over on VXRO :whistle:

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #38 on: 03 October 2018, 13:15 »

it all comes down to personal preference.  from personal experience living for 40 years in a country with 40 degrees in the shade, leather is not a good option.  Maybe you were lucky and was here when the summer was mild enough,  no need to get skirmish over it tho and no harm intended.  UK weather is definitely different even in the 'hot' summer months so maybe not such an issue and if people like it then it's their choice.

Lived there for 4 years and loved it. Proper hot in the summer - it actually felt more comfortable in Afghan at 50 than in Cyprus at 40. Must be a drier heat when you're not on an island in the med.

No issues with you - your comments weren't the one's I took issue with (although probably looked like that as I quoted your post). I remember you asking for advise regarding getting a golf over to Cyprus - hope you got something sorted.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 04 October 2018, 12:06 »
It always seems that those who criticise leather are the ones who would like it but wont/cant afford it.
All my future cars will have leather, £2k well spent IMO.

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation of forum members

I used to thing leather was the be all and end all but I do not like leather seat centres, never really liked the leather which VW gave me for free on the R and much preferred the cloth on my rental R I had for a few years and on the wife's.

Now I am slumming it in the Up GTI I am loving the cloth seats in it, for me on the GTI it would be cloth or the art velour, always loved the way our Pirelli seats felt.

M2 came with leather and not a fan, M2 Comp cam with leather so order cancelled. I particularly hate that VW shove leather on the run outs as if its something they assume in the UK everyone wants.

Fortunately there will not be a leather seat centre in sight on the 718 GTS.