Author Topic: de-badge and re-badge  (Read 11331 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
de-badge and re-badge
« on: 23 June 2018, 20:52 »
Thought of it over and over and I think I'd rather remove the red GTI badges from the rear, front and sides of the car. To be honest I never really liked them on the Clubsport, VW made all that effort with the different styling, upgraded engine etc. so a couple of CS specific badges would have made much more sense, plus you don't usually get badges of a 230bhp car on a 290bhp one so I think I'd like it more incognito. My only question is, how easy or hard is it to re-attach them in the future more likely for resale purposes? Easy to get hold of the proper adhesive?
« Last Edit: 23 June 2018, 20:57 by scanesare »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: de-badge and re-badge
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2018, 21:25 »
It's a 40th Anniversary Golf GTI. As the 35th, 30th, 25th, 10th before it, it's a tweaked Golf GTI.

It celebrates GTI. It isn't 'not a GTI', the whole point is, it's a GTI.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2018, 21:28 »
Easy to remove, use dental floss, remove adhesive residue with optical instrument cleaner or degreaser spray for optics.
You won't easily be able to reattach old badge as the tape is cut and stamped to match shape of badge.

Used to work for a supplier of exactly these things, and the best way would be to buy new badges / nameplates.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2018, 21:33 »
Don’t the badges on the front wings and tailgate have a self adhesive backing? The badge on the front grille is clipped in and removing it will leave a non-honeycomb solid black area on the grille, which IMO would look a bit odd; as if someone has stolen the badge and the owner hasn’t bothered replacing it. There’s s picture of the grille badge removed at the link below;

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4608

If you do remove them, I’d suggest making a template of the areas where they’re currently located (with measurements), so when you put new badges back on, you can put them in the exact same location that the originals were in.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2018, 21:42 »
Easy to remove, use dental floss, remove adhesive residue with optical instrument cleaner or degreaser spray for optics.
You won't easily be able to reattach old badge as the tape is cut and stamped to match shape of badge.

Used to work for a supplier of exactly these things, and the best way would be to buy new badges / nameplates.

thanks for the info, would be ok to re-buy them if that was actually a deal-breaker for the next guy but i'm now thinking what SRGTD wrote below:

Don’t the badges on the front wings and tailgate have a self adhesive backing? The badge on the front grille is clipped in and removing it will leave a non-honeycomb solid black area on the grille, which IMO would look a bit odd; as if someone has stolen the badge and the owner hasn’t bothered replacing it. There’s s picture of the grille badge removed at the link below;

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4608

If you do remove them, I’d suggest making a template of the areas where they’re currently located (with measurements), so when you put new badges back on, you can put them in the exact same location that the originals were in.

I wondered about the front badge and your comment and photo confirms it, it might make me change my mind as I agree it doesn't look nice at all. I had thought of taking measurements of the original locations but thanks for stressing it!

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2018, 21:55 »
It's a 40th Anniversary Golf GTI. As the 35th, 30th, 25th, 10th before it, it's a tweaked Golf GTI.

It celebrates GTI. It isn't 'not a GTI', the whole point is, it's a GTI.

Without wanting to de-rail the thread to a  "remove them or not" debate my view on this is that: a) the CS is much more of an upgrade in various areas over a mk7 GTI than the ED35 was to the mk6 GTI (think new front bumper, diffuser, rear spoiler, tail-pipes, rims, bucket seats, steering wheel and interior bits it's almost immediately obvious it's not a standard GTI), hence why it was also given the "Clubsport" name, and b) even the ED35 with its minimum aesthetic changes had side badges reading "35" which I find right.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2018, 22:02 »
It's an enhanced, improved upon GTI. 25th had it right, had all of those changes and a nice retro GTI badge front and rear.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2018, 22:09 »
I wondered about the front badge and your comment and photo confirms it, it might make me change my mind as I agree it doesn't look nice at all. I had thought of taking measurements of the original locations but thanks for stressing it!

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2018, 22:21 »

Couldn't ask for any more details than that I think!  :wink:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2018, 23:56 »
Don’t the badges on the front wings and tailgate have a self adhesive backing?

Yes they have, but it’s cut (stamped) to exactly fit the nameplates. It’s a foam tape essentially.
Difficult to trim 3M tape exactly by craft knife.... I tried.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles