Author Topic: my 1st MK1!-need some advice!  (Read 2304 times)

Offline shelby

• Just got here
my 1st MK1!-need some advice!
« on: 12 May 2003, 00:02 »
Just got my first ever MK1 Golf GTI , and thought there was a problem with the wiper motor, as they are sooo slow! Someone has told me that it is normal for Mk1s, is this true? Also, the parcel shelf is missing, any idea where I might be able to get an original one? Have looked around scrappies, with no success.   :)
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

jelly

Re: my 1st MK1!-need some advice!
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2003, 13:17 »
Yes the wipers do move slow compared to other cars, as far as I know.
It depends how slow you mean? Mine are too slow at the moment. They take about 4 seconds to do a full sweep.
I'm gonna try changing the motor with another today. I'll get back to you with results................

Offline shelby

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2003, 02:42 »
how did it go jelly? new motor make any difference? thats what i was thinking of doing, let me know, will do the same if it works! Clare XXX

old_boy

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2003, 10:36 »
I have a mint parcel shelf ?25+p&p
Getting hard to find a good one these days.
I'm getting rid of all my mk1 spares now so try me for bits, all cheap, ask ashmk1. :)
As for your wipers, they are a few years old now, just strip em and lube em! :)

jelly

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2003, 20:08 »
Hey Clare,

Never changed the motor. The wipers seemed to start moving a lot quicker once there is water on the screen.

Saying that, they still moved when I tryed them dry a few minutes ago. I think my car has a mind of its own!!

Mite grease them this weekend though. Gotta fit a new boot after an 'incident' at No-Rice Guildford. Oh well....

Jelly

ps. Anyone go to the meet?

Offline tattyoldwagon

• Not said much yet
Re:my 1st MK1!-need some advice!
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2003, 16:31 »
Best advice for wiper problems in my book is Rain-X or similar. All you need to do then is, well nothing really, maybe occasional use of i'ment at slow speeds or in drizzle. It only takes five minutes to put on. ;D

Offline Tonic

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2003, 21:26 »
Hi, I've just bought a MK1 too. Mechanically its sound but I've a problem with the engine.
Its an 1800 with carb, and is running hot. Also if you rev it up the oil warning light comes on and buzzes. I've done a full oil change, changed the filter and replaced the pressure swith above the filter (but not on the block) I thought it mmight be big ends on the way out, but the engine runs smoothly and there is no knocking, any ideas??
Cheers ???

Offline tattyoldwagon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2003, 15:42 »
Hi Tonic,

It's a messy job to do but the oil may be struggling to get through your engine. I've done this myself at home and I'm a long way short of being a car mechanic!
Drop the oil out of your engine, remove your sump-lots of screws and a couple are quite tricky to get at, then look for the pipe that pulls the oil up from your sump, remove and clean this. When I did mine it was clogged with all sorts. I took mine to work with me and cleaned it in a tank of mysterious but powerful cleaning fluid. I was also getting my oil warning up and this curred it, plus it's a cheap thing to try.

Good luck