Author Topic: Bellends dubs.  (Read 7726 times)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
Bellends dubs.
« on: 03 September 2012, 23:39 »
So with the MK3 on the drive, I've got two vehicles. Barely any pictures unfortunately though, lost my other SD card!

MK3 is still sitting waiting for the garage to be built.

First up I replaced it for work duty with a MK4 SDI. Slowest Diesel Invented is pretty much true. 0-60 takes a whopping 25.9 seconds! That is no joke and was on a slight downward incline. It is however ENGINEWISE bullet proof and holds it's slow speed well on the motorway. I can also recieve 65MPG which is a bonus, driving with the lorries admittedly.

It did well for a while and then placed a big water tank in the back for work purposes. 350l tank and as a result had to be anchored down well. Steel plates underneath the vehicle and eyelet bolts in place and the tank ratchet strapped in. Ratchet strapped as the insurance then wasn't bothered as it's "temporary" as oposed to bolting it in.

Rear suspension has been blocked up but am probably going to be putting in estate springs as I have been told they are much longer. The reason I haven't used the Passat for this is that I don't want to ruin it. This MK4 will be sold next year early and hopefully a brand new Vivaro replacing it if we can get a decent leasing deal, if not probably a FIAT Doblo.  :grin:

It's been very abused through it's live and I've spent a few hundred on it, new rear callipers and brakes all round, new exhaust as old one had more welds then the empire state, tyres, suspension bushes and a headlight. Driving pretty well now finally!

I then carbon wrapped the peeling insides, typical MK4 style:

As cupholders are so old now, I made a pen holder:

Not really many plans for this, it's a work vehicle! Just some of the abuse it takes:

One of the fails:

Deicer didn't do a lot to that! That happened on the way home.

The tank as you can see:

Takes up a lot of room. The only reason I haven't got a van as I'm still saving and insurance is a tad expensive but much cheaper next year.

I got bored of the two seats and unfortunately I don't have any pictures as I said but will get some hopefully tomorrow after I give it a good clean but I got another car.

VERY nice one actually:
Same as this, slightly different colour:

1.9TDI 130 Automatic which is nice. Friends say it's a grandads car but I'm loving it. Hoping the business can buy a van, I can get rid of the MK4 and keep this and the MK3 now insurance is falling.

The fan belts seem to have an ironic fashion, this one had an issue and managed to get it on 75K miles, absolutely loaded with history, just had a towbar fitted a year ago, new front tyres etc for £3100. Was £3500 agreed but it gained two scratches after the deposit was given.

Alloys could do with a refurb but other then that it's so damned comfortable! Such a nice drive. Only slight issue is the treble button doesn't work but will sort.

The issue with the belt was the belt was slipping and jumping about. Turns out the alternator pulley one way clutch was siezed. It freed itself up after I tried to undo it and was fine for about 30 seconds so got a new one. £54 quid from TPS by way of information.

Then there was the issue of the tool needed.  :rolleyes: I wanted it now, so used an angle grinder and a bolster:

Then held the pulley in a vice and undid. Putting it back on was easy because of the way the clutch works.

Plans are simply clean it up nice, get the scratches done eventually and just don't ruin it! Maybe get some R line MK6 alloys for it and keep these for winters but I'm happy with it. Loads of room and can get 55-60 on a run with a careful foot.

As I said, MK3 is still about and I've settled on a VR6 for it and blower on it eventually. Just saving up for stuff though so will do it as an when.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 16 September 2012, 23:27 by Bellend »

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: MK4 SDI & Passat Highline 130 Wagon
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2012, 23:46 »
Is the IBC on the roof to pick up your stock of anti freeze?

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2012, 23:49 »
Is the IBC on the roof to pick up your stock of anti freeze?

Deicer init.

Nah pureified water for window cleaning.  :smiley:

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2012, 22:07 »
No decent shots at all but:

I'll take some half decent shots at some point, although not much to see. :grin:

Needs two rear tyres and a wheel respray. Been given a full service which according to VW history it didn't need, just a basic one but I want to keep this nice. Had cambelt and fan belts done, which I did two weeks ago. Still running smooth.

Gear changes are very smooth but not sporty which is a bit meh but hey it's a grandads car. Few scratches which I am going to try and touch in, laquer light sand and polish. Won't look perfect but will do til I have a garage to spray them.

So comfortable, pretty torquey, had to drag a mates Clio with a blown gearbox out the road with locked up front wheels and after 2500RPM it just pulled it straight off.

Pleased with it. :)
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 22:10 by Bellend »

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2012, 00:00 »
Little bit of painting on the MK4 today:

Rear arch:

All rattle can. Not too bad. Could have done better with a garage out of the wind and some decent masking equipment but was mainly a test.

Paint work is pretty naff so have ordered some white vinyl wrap. Hoping to get coilovers for the car and just tidy it up a bit, maybe paint the wheels white and sign write it.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
Re: Bellends dubs.
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2012, 23:27 »
Just bought a VR6 engine conversion kit for 140 quid. Just gotta check it's all okay when I get there. Be a whole new project for the MK3. :)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2013, 16:45 »
The VR6 was never collected as it was a messer on eBay wanting £300. Very inconvenient.

MK4 was knocking badly. The rear wishbone bushes had removed themselves from the wishbones. :grin:

Full new bushes, track rod ends and balljoints will be here Monday along with rear shocks. Cars days are very limited. Need a front bumper and tailgate then will be sold.

Carpets were wet when I was hoovering it, discovered a bung missing and as a result all the water from puddles had drenched them. Everything was removed and jetwashed, having purely a drivers seat makes it a lot better. :grin:

All in all not a bad car just upgrading to a van. My younger brother doesn't like it unless I can make it "less crap" whatever that means.

Passat needs new discs and pads all round, discs coming Monday pads already here. This is also going but I think mum and dad want it.

£££££££ is all I see!

When I finally get time to track the Rav and change tyres that also will be up for sale!

Mum may be happy as she might get some drive space. :grin:

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2013, 19:17 »
MK4 bushes in today, will put the wishbones back in in the morning.

Lemforder bushes front and back for £16.11 all in. Not bad. Ball joints are tight so can stay.

Rear bushes are a PITA to fit and pressing them in doesn't seem to work. Light taps with a big hammer does.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2013, 12:09 »
New brake pads and discs all round on the Passat:

Ends were greased but no grease on the flat part of the front pad.

Didn't take long at all to bed in and brakes are even better than they have ever been!

Also had a whistle, saw a loose boost pipe, new clip and whistle gone. Oil changed for the third time and job jobbed. Split pipe on the EGR valve which I discovered was replaced under warranty when the car was a couple of years old.

New one from TPS Monday, give it a clean and then I think it's going!

MK4 gearbox whinge stopped dead after an oil change, carpets back in and it's miles nicer. New tyres on the rear too.

Will give it it's 5th oil change in my ownership next week and order some vinyl wrap for it and a new front bumper.