Author Topic: Daz's Blue 1.8 Turbo - New Shell Bought  (Read 19987 times)

Offline CheshireSport

• GTI forum regular
Re: Daz's Blue 1.8 Turbo
« Reply #70 on: 10 April 2012, 11:44 »
Ok so all my updates just seem to be stocking up on parts and not actually getting any real work done on the car  :( this is gonna have to stop. I was hoping to get some work done this week while ive got the week off but the weather isnt looking too good and ive also got a 3 year old to look after. Hes a little young yet to be any good with the spanners though he does try  :grin:

So more spending trying to get all the bits i need in place for this. When i started i made myself a bit long list of what my ultimate goal was including what parts were needed and how much/where from. This seems a little anal but its pretty much worked and helped me to plan my purchases quite well. Although things pop up for sale from time to time that just need snapping up as i see them.

Been toying with the idea of just buying the paint for this car sooner than later so last weekend on my way home from working overtime i nipped into the paint suppliers i use and got a price for everything i needed. Turns out i had planned just enough money for it all (well i was 91 pence short) but the guy let me off for that  :grin:

Came away with this little lot

Only thing missing from there is the 5 litres of filler primer

Porsche Macadamia  :cool: :cool:

Same weekend whilst i was working in Newcastle i made a little detour to a lads house that was breaking his bora, and picked up the rear bumper off it. This weekend stripped it of the bits i didnt need and ended up with these bits.

Im sure we can all guess where thats going?  :wink:

A while ago i also bought these

One of those impulse buys due to being in the right place at the right time. Full FIS Immo 3 Bora Sports. Hoping to change them ever so slightly. So that puts me up two owning to sets of these now. Greedy i know  :rolleyes:

Also ive been messaging back and to with The Brit off Edition about some bits i wanted. Back end of last week he messaged me to tell me he had a container due in in the next few days and was sending over some pics for me.

Luckily he was visiting his Grandparents up in Scotland this bank holiday weekend so made arrangements to meet up with him just off the M6 near me and came away with these items.

Very happy with both, just need to source the other bits i need his help with now. Top guy and would recommend him to anyone needing US bits for their cars.

As i previously mentioned not having done anything on the car since at least last October/November it was starting to make me worry i had lost a bit of enthusiasm for the build. So i decided to get "something" at least started and decided to spend a little time in the garage over the weekend rubbing my tank down ready for some paint.

Just need to strip out all the fittings and finish off rubbing it down and getting it in primer.

Thats it for now though im hoping to have another update later this week. Im praying the weather holds out.
WANTED: O/S R32 HEADLIGHT REAR COVERS

Offline CheshireSport

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #71 on: 04 June 2012, 01:24 »
Ive finally pulled my finger out and did a little bit of work on the 1.8T. Had a week off this last week so on the days Daniel was in school i jumped at the chance to get some work done.

Ive just been collecting more and more parts of late and that really hasnt changed (picked up a headlining from All Types for the sunroof mod, hopefully getting a US front bumper in just over a week, and got some polished bits coming as well).

Anyway finally got the cover off the car last week and decided to do some more work on getting the drivers side smoother and complete.

Finally happy with the shape around the filler cap

And did some more work on the drivers door. Its getting there, there was just a high spot near where the side trim goes (still undecided wether to get rid of the side trims and totally smooth it)

Ive also been busy stripping the engine bay down for what will be one of the biggest tasks on this build, the smoothed bay

Passenger door may have to come off to sort that out as its a little close to the wall

Also now that ive sorted the earlier issues with the adaptors/wheel nuts i dug out an alloy and tried it properly for fitment (couldnt get the car on the ground but jacked up the back axle to have the full weight on the springs, so basically ride height). Happy with the fitment

Ive also painted my air tank up and will get some pics up soon.

Now though the weather seems to have took a nose dive again. Was hoping to do some more over this bank holiday weekend. We will see.

Offline CheshireSport

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #72 on: 14 October 2012, 20:46 »
Been quiet of late.

Got a delivery though from Mexico last month

Genuine brand new US centre console, been after one of these for ages.

Also made a start on drilling the spot welds on my replacement roof panel ready to do the swap.

It was a daunting task knowing i had to do the same thing but on my car. Massive potential to royally mess it all up.

Was doing my usual and searching the sale ads though and saw someone that had broken a 3 door golf and was offering up the shell for sale. A lot of sorting out about how i could get a rolling shell back home as cheaply as possible then a deal was struck.

Yesterday was the day me and my mate Steve went on a bit of a trip to Derby to pick it up.

All strapped up ready for the trip home

And back home, pics taken today.

And the all important bit

Little bit of a fish pond

Need to make it water tight by swapping my doors and a boot lid onto it then i will vac it all dry.

Now the bad bits...

Front of the drivers side sill is damaged slightly

Top of the drivers side B pillar

And for some reason (and it wasnt specified on the sale advert) all the mounting points for the rear seats have been removed. Every single one!!!

Bit of a pain but a lot easier than doing a roof swap. I will just put the ones in off the other shell.

Got my sunroof in it today in preparation for it being water tight

And thats all for now. Priority is to get this one water tight, then get on with fully stripping the other shell so i can get rid of it before Nicky goes mental having 2 on the drive.

Offline CheshireSport

• GTI forum regular
Re: Daz's Blue 1.8 Turbo - New Shell Bought
« Reply #73 on: 20 October 2012, 18:31 »
Well had a good half day working on the cars today and used it well. The blue shell is now pretty much stripped interior wise. All i need to do on that one now is pull the engine and box, remove exhaust (although I'm sure i will be getting a full stainless), Remove the gear lever etc from underneath, Remove fuel tank, Remove the rear axle and front subframe, then remove the heater matrix once the engine is out and pull the loom into the car.

Lol sounds quite a lot now ive wrote it down.

I also fitted a bootlid to the new shell today, doors were fitted earlier in the week so at least that one is now water tight. Tomorrow im going to get my wet vac out and fully vac the interior and get it all dry.

I also finished removing all the junk that was still connected to the bulkhead (brake lines etc) and got the bolts for the heater matrix on this one so that has all been removed. Just need to get the brake servo off now so the bay is fully clear ready for some smoothing. Anyone know what holds the plunger for the brake servo to the brake pedal as thats all that holding the servo in now.

Offline CheshireSport

• GTI forum regular
Re: Daz's Blue 1.8 Turbo - New Shell Bought
« Reply #74 on: 10 February 2013, 01:05 »
God not updated this in aaaages.....

Not massive amounts have happened over the winter so far, just been too bloody cold to be sat out on the driveway.

I did manage to get the blue shell fully stripped and taken away though much to my wifes delight. Before it went though i used that shell to work certain things out on like finding out about cutting out the rain tray fully.

Tried the scuttle to see how it would sit without the rain tray to support it.

Think i can get that to work.

Final bits off the shell.

The garage is like a Mk4 golf parts stash.

I cut off the rear seat mounting brackets i needed to put onto the new shell.

Then it was all ready for collection.

And gone

Thanks to my good friend Steve we managed to push the new one off next doors drive and back onto my drive in the dark while it was snowing. Not an easy task!!!!

The next day i got it up on axle stands so i could return borrowed wheels to righful owners (thanks Simon [;)])

In the mean time i did some work i could do indoors (although it didnt go down too well). Helped by my 4 year old.

Not sure im keen on the cream against the Macadamia.

So between me and Simon we threw some ideas about and think we have come up with a good colour combo.

Also got my location for getting the wiring loom into the chassis rail for when i finally extend these wires.

Going forward ive decided i need to plug all the bits and pieces back in, in the engine bay as im using a 99 engine and bits, and then using a 2000 car loom (immo2), some of the plugs are different between the 2 so it will require some mix and matching. This wire tuck is going to be a major ball ache.

As soon as i get a day where it isnt either raining or snowing i need to get stuff out of the garage and find all the sensors etc to plug back in and progress from there.