Author Topic: People with TDI Golf's - I think i have a problem  (Read 8969 times)

Offline javsta

• Not said much yet
People with TDI Golf's - I think i have a problem
« on: 21 January 2011, 09:11 »
Hello Guys / Gals

Ive got a bluemotion tdi currently just under 2k miles on the clock and I am quite concerned with my mpg figures driving carefully and following the strict gear shift indicator I am only averaging 47-52 mpg on the combined cycle the calimed figures for these are 68-74 mpg.

Wanted to know peoples experiences if they have golf tdi and what sort of mpg they are averageing?

My oil temp reading is also abnormal as it constantly reads between 105-110 degrees cels, or is this normal for a golf?

Offline DDg

• Not said much yet
Re: People with TDI Golf's - I think i have a problem
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2011, 09:41 »
A perusal of spritmonitor reveals 35 Bluemotion 1.6's, with a range of mpg between 49-69 but more importantly an average of 56mpg, so your results are not too far away. Maybe you don't live in a city and therefore don't benefit from stop-start much, or maybe you've a bit more of a lead foot than your average driver? You may also find the engine still has to loosen up a bit. I eked out a couple of extra mpg after a few thousand miles.

One thing I do know is that "Official" figures are always way OTT and do not remotely reflect real world driving.

I don't know what my 2.0 TDi heats up to, but, iirc the needle points straight up. It would be logical if all models' ideal temps were in the 'needle straight up' position too, I'm thinking.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2011, 09:45 by DDg »

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2011, 09:46 »
Blue motions are designed to be aerodynamically "slick" and have all of the extra facing on the front of the car, which would account for the slightly elevated oil temperatures.

Offline javsta

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2011, 09:56 »
Thanks Chaps

Fortunatley I dont have the aero dynamic kit presume its normal for the high temps

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2011, 12:37 »
Also the cold weather and wipers/lights/heated screen and aircon will all dent mpg.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2011, 15:32 »
If yours doesn't have the body kit then it probably isn't the full-on Bluemotion model, just the 'Bluemotion Technology'. Claimed figures for these are around the 60mpg mark so what you are getting seems reasonable.
Golf R

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2011, 16:52 »
If yours doesn't have the body kit then it probably isn't the full-on Bluemotion model, just the 'Bluemotion Technology'. Claimed figures for these are around the 60mpg mark so what you are getting seems reasonable.

Aye, this is very true. An aero package can add a large percentage to the overall mpg (although this will only come in to affect at a viable speed, usually around 40mph+)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2011, 17:18 »
A lad at work has a bluemotion tech model and is getting similar figures to yourself.

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline flc1962

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2011, 17:58 »
I run the GT TDi with bluefin, getting 52-56 Mpg oil temp 90. Only done 8200 miles since Nov 2009, blue Motion who needs it  :evil:

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2011, 18:34 »
I've read reports on bad fuel con for the 1.6 TDI.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12424

As for the oil temp if I cruise at 70mph on a motorway and I switch to oil temp on the MFD is show 96 C its all relative to speed and load on the engine.  :wink:
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.