Author Topic: Engine differences - 140 / 170 CR TDI  (Read 10948 times)

Offline dieseldunc

• Not said much yet
Engine differences - 140 / 170 CR TDI
« on: 08 January 2011, 19:49 »
Following on similar post in this TDI area re complete car spec differences between the GTD and the GT140; I'd be interested if anyone has real knowledge on what the actual differences are between these 2 CR TDI engines is. Speaking to a couple of dealers I know; one says "it's just the ECU map" but the other says "...bigger turbo, stronger con-rods and different injectors too." 

And yes; I am thinking of Bluefinning it; before you ask  :smiley:

From having been lurking on this forum some time, I think there may be some VW techs or similar here who may know for sure; or if anyone can point me to any detailed tech manuals etc I'd be very interested....? I've seen a link to the US VAG tech detailed info on the GTI engine; but has anyone found similar for the latest CR TDI's?

Cheers,
Duncan.
sssh; it's 'only a diesel'; but i love it!

MK6 GT140 TDi; DBP; Vancouvers; RNS510-D; Convenience pack; Storage pack; Philips Extreme Vision dipped bulbs; blue vision sidelights; red footwell lights; Yeti tips; GTD pedals; GTD gear lever; 'R' mats; RVC; Premium Bluetooth and some TLC.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Engine differences - 140 / 170 CR TDI
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2011, 16:59 »
Im guessing your ref to the american self study program that is linked too? rather than the Tech manual
There is one for the 2.0 TDI CR but
http://www.dsd.go.th/itrain/km/kboc/2010_TestProject_WSC40/Automobile/DOC33_IL_40CA/DOC33_IL_40CA_1680_Diesel_Engine_2.0L_TDI_CommonRail_BIN5_UL.pdf
« Last Edit: 09 January 2011, 17:01 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dieseldunc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2011, 18:27 »
Excellent find - thanks for that!

Out of interest; are these pdf generally available to the public (or geeks like me) so I can find similar others for my car, or are they insider knowledge only?

CHeers,
Duncan.

MK6 GT140 TDi; DBP; Vancouvers; RNS510-D; Convenience pack; Storage pack; Philips Extreme Vision dipped bulbs; blue vision sidelights; red footwell lights; Yeti tips; GTD pedals; GTD gear lever; 'R' mats; RVC; Premium Bluetooth and some TLC.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2011, 21:06 »
Excellent find - thanks for that!

Out of interest; are these pdf generally available to the public (or geeks like me) so I can find similar others for my car, or are they insider knowledge only?

CHeers,
Duncan.
Sort of. this explains what they are for,

Volkswagen Self Study Programs are designed to help the Volkswagen dealership technician prepare for intensive factory training classes. This book provides introductory information regarding the introduction of new features, designs, and functions.

Caution:
Volkswagen Training Literature is not a Repair Manual. For maintenance and repair work, always refer to the current technical literature.

This technical training is based on information available at the time of its original publication and assumes that repair work will be performed in a dealership by a qualified service technician.

Volkswagen is constantly updating its automotive systems and designs; therefore, this booklet may not cover components or systems that have changed over the course of the vehicle's production, and will not apply to vehicles produced after its publication date. It provides conceptual background for the professional automotive technician rather than specific service instructions.

Volkswagen Service Training literature will be most useful for those seeking a better conceptual understanding of Volkswagen's innovative design and engineering. While it is not for vehicle repair, it is more technical than most sales literature, and it provides a useful theoretical background for using repair manuals.

You basically have to search the net for the one you want or can buy them from
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/volkswagen/technical-training/
& other types of VW info/books  :nerd:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/volkswagen/
« Last Edit: 09 January 2011, 21:18 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline dieseldunc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2011, 22:31 »
thanks again; I'll do some googlin tomorrow.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2011, 22:36 »
Outstanding Snoops - as ever  :wink:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2011, 18:18 »
<---Spot the R&D Engineer geek  :nerd: :wink:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Chillly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2011, 20:18 »
Following on similar post in this TDI area re complete car spec differences between the GTD and the GT140; I'd be interested if anyone has real knowledge on what the actual differences are between these 2 CR TDI engines is. Speaking to a couple of dealers I know; one says "it's just the ECU map" but the other says "...bigger turbo, stronger con-rods and different injectors too." 

And yes; I am thinking of Bluefinning it; before you ask  :smiley:

From having been lurking on this forum some time, I think there may be some VW techs or similar here who may know for sure; or if anyone can point me to any detailed tech manuals etc I'd be very interested....? I've seen a link to the US VAG tech detailed info on the GTI engine; but has anyone found similar for the latest CR TDI's?

Cheers,
Duncan.

How did you get on with this duncan? i was led to believe it was bigger turbo.

Offline dieseldunc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2011, 20:33 »
Not really followed this up any further; but I've heard several anecdotes that there are indeed mechanical differences (turbo?) and it's not just the s/ware maps etc. This would fit with the PD engines where the 150 was different to the 130. I wonder if the Doc or Snoopy knows for sure??

I'm nearly at 60k miles, and thinking I will try a map or Bluefin, as I've heard good things about them.

Duncan.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2011, 20:39 »
Turbo is different between the two engines  :nerd:

The rest will be very minor differences, if any at all

On the old 130 / 150 engines of the MK4 it was the turbo and intercooler which were different