Author Topic: Diesel in the Snow  (Read 10863 times)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Diesel in the Snow
« on: 21 December 2010, 12:07 »
Does anyone else think that diesels are easier to drive in the snow that petrol, i.e. they easily roll along in 1st,2nd,3rd without the accelerator.  I have to admit I have had no problems with the GTD in the snow, and the tyres have covered 11k miles.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
Re: Diesel in the Snow
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2010, 12:17 »
Torque = win.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2010, 17:41 »
+1 easy

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2010, 17:44 »
No necessarily. I have no probs with the GTI.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2010, 17:46 »
Great news for all Golf drivers then - it's a win win situation  :wink:

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2010, 17:50 »
Great news for all Golf drivers then - it's a win win situation  :wink:

Very much so  :smiley:

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2010, 21:45 »
Does the DSG cope well? I like have control over the clutch for the really slow, non-spin the wheels starts.  I see alot of people revving and getting on like crazy and just dont see the need, thought maybe it was an Auto box not coping.  Or maybe they just cant drive.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2010, 23:02 »
I just take my foot off the brake and the car does the rest. I do use the manual option a lot in the snow but nearly never in normal driving.

DSG is so different from traditional autos in so many ways, you get much more control especially with these late boxes, they do seem to have cone a long way over the first DSG's I've owned.

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2010, 01:41 »
I just take my foot off the brake and the car does the rest. I do use the manual option a lot in the snow but nearly never in normal driving.

DSG is so different from traditional autos in so many ways, you get much more control especially with these late boxes, they do seem to have cone a long way over the first DSG's I've owned.

Completely agree. I only move it into manual so I can shift it up earlier and also hold it in a gear. It really is wonderful in the snow. In reality a DSG may not be any more capable but at the very least it makes driving in the snow much more relaxing.  :smiley:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2010, 07:25 »
Yes they are  :wink: