Author Topic: HELP NEEDED MK1 GTI RESTO JOB  (Read 658 times)

Offline smithy

• Just got here
HELP NEEDED MK1 GTI RESTO JOB
« on: 24 October 2004, 09:33 »
 >:(Hi,
I am currently restoring my mk1 1979 golf gti, i've taken the back axle from the car, (to weld a chassis section) a freind of mine said that his stub axle from a mk 2 16v? would fit mine so i could convert to rear disc brakes, i'm not too sure, also he has a set of adjustable shocks, springs - brand new cost him over ?400 he seems to think that they will fit the mk1 aswell.
Any advice would be appreciated, if they dont fit a mk1 and? you know somebody with a mk2 this mate of mine has got lots of spares.
E'G Golf rallye full interior (mint)
fully adjustable shocks / springs
2.0 16 valve race engine (built by dubsport) nearly ?6000 in reciepts and printouts of power 188 B.H.P @ wheels.
I was considering puting this in my car!!!!

Thanks Mike

Offline hairyarse

• GTI forum regular
Re: HELP NEEDED MK1 GTI RESTO JOB
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2004, 11:03 »
Mike

I know that all (?) rear disc conversions for MK1's were based around MK2's brakes (mine is anyway) so would guess the stub axles would be ok. Not sure about the suspension tho but wouldn't be surprised if it fits.

2.0 16 valve race engine (built by dubsport) nearly ?6000 in reciepts and printouts of power 188 B.H.P @ wheels.
I was considering puting this in my car!!!!

Your '79 Gti is getting rarer by the minute - I'd keep it standard if I were you! ;)