Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 382931 times)

Jimmymature

Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #1300 on: 01 October 2012, 22:00 »

I know the badge snobs will have their say but the Skoda Octavia VRS Diesel or Petrol looks great value for money.

Jim

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #1301 on: 02 October 2012, 13:57 »

I know the badge snobs will have their say but the Skoda Octavia VRS Diesel or Petrol looks great value for money.

Jim

How dare one mention such a car on here  :smiley:

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline MAW73

• I live here
« Reply #1302 on: 11 October 2012, 13:29 »
My cars built, sitting at port and is currently awaiting a nice friendly ship to bring it over to blighty  :wink:

Hopefully another couple of weeks and the car should be with me.

Be nice to get a rear wheeler just in time for the snow.

2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Jimmymature

« Reply #1303 on: 11 October 2012, 19:03 »
My cars built, sitting at port and is currently awaiting a nice friendly ship to bring it over to blighty  :wink:

Hopefully another couple of weeks and the car should be with me.

Be nice to get a rear wheeler just in time for the snow.

Great news mate, On a related point I saw the power of the new 125D on their website the other day and I was shocked, also the quicker 0-60 time than the GTI....

Jim

Offline Spartacus

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1304 on: 12 October 2012, 12:42 »
My Edition 30 is here, its a beauty.

Now I understand better the attraction of the Edition 35.

The 227bhp engine is more flexible and more muscular which adds to the charachter of the car. Not much in it up to 60mph but then the difference shows. On the motorway its great fun just to squirt away from traffic. I am driving both the Edition 30 and Mk6 GTi back to back daily so lots of other comparsions but the engine is the big one. MkV definitely handles better as well, its just tighter with more control. Mk6 is quieter and more refined though.

Just bought some Vredestein Wintrac tyres and new alloys for the winter months and will soon be paying a visit to APR or REVO for a remap to 300bhp.

My GTi journey continues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with one eye on a Mk7 which hopefully will have the strenghts of both previous generations.
Mk6 GTi - returned to leasing company after 3 great years and replaced with :

Mk5 GTi - Edition 30 - Revo 1 and some tweaks - 310 bhp. Its a better car than the Mk6  - Now sold and replaced with :

Mk6 R - Rising Blue 5 Door. Won't be standard 270bhp for long

Family Car : Mercedes ML420 with 360 bhp
Looking at Porsche Macan as replacement

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #1305 on: 12 October 2012, 18:51 »
Nice, I have to say a remapped MK5 Ed 30 is good fun  :wink:

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1306 on: 13 October 2012, 18:22 »
The supplying dealer phones yesterday offereig me a 'special' deal on a new golf.

Bear In mind my car turned 1yr old on oct 1st so not really needing a change.

They were trying to sell me guess what?... Another GTI. They must have been sniffing the bostik or something.

Why would I lose £7k in depreciation just to buy the same bloody car when a mk7 is iminanat?

Anyway I won't be going down the mk7 route. I'm REALLY sick of this car now.

Clutch and throttle are horrendous, lacking in feel and in the first 2 gears the car just does what it wants. the throttle pedal only has a small influence on engine RPM. why the hell did they make the car like this? is it to belp idiots not stall the engine or somethig?

oh and the brakes are some sort of sick joke.

The main problem for me though is The squeaks and rattles from the interior are driving me fricking crazy. One on the drivers door and one in the passenger footwell I just cannot get to the bottom of. Can't even listen to music to drown it out as the door trim rattles with music too.

I'm at the point now where I hate drivin this car. Did a 500 mile round trip to work the other week and the car drive me nuts with the rattles and today I took it out for a drive and the same story.

I can't wait Until it's financially viable to trade this car in. After 1 year I can't stomach the depreciation I will get hit with though so will have to wait till its a bit older probably.

I can put my hand on my arse and honestly say the golf is the worst but car I've ever owned... And I once owned a FIAT.

« Last Edit: 13 October 2012, 18:27 by mkviken »
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline MAW73

• I live here
« Reply #1307 on: 14 October 2012, 12:07 »
The supplying dealer phones yesterday offereig me a 'special' deal on a new golf.

Bear In mind my car turned 1yr old on oct 1st so not really needing a change.

They were trying to sell me guess what?... Another GTI. They must have been sniffing the bostik or something.

Why would I lose £7k in depreciation just to buy the same bloody car when a mk7 is iminanat?

Anyway I won't be going down the mk7 route. I'm REALLY sick of this car now.

Clutch and throttle are horrendous, lacking in feel and in the first 2 gears the car just does what it wants. the throttle pedal only has a small influence on engine RPM. why the hell did they make the car like this? is it to belp idiots not stall the engine or somethig?

oh and the brakes are some sort of sick joke.

The main problem for me though is The squeaks and rattles from the interior are driving me fricking crazy. One on the drivers door and one in the passenger footwell I just cannot get to the bottom of. Can't even listen to music to drown it out as the door trim rattles with music too.

I'm at the point now where I hate drivin this car. Did a 500 mile round trip to work the other week and the car drive me nuts with the rattles and today I took it out for a drive and the same story.

I can't wait Until it's financially viable to trade this car in. After 1 year I can't stomach the depreciation I will get hit with though so will have to wait till its a bit older probably.

I can put my hand on my arse and honestly say the golf is the worst but car I've ever owned... And I once owned a FIAT.

Sorry you've had a crap experience with you car. Luck of the draw I guess as others are more than happy their Mk6's. Might be worth cutting your losses then?
« Last Edit: 14 October 2012, 12:10 by MAW73 »

2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1308 on: 14 October 2012, 14:07 »
Mechanically it's been fine but the interior trim is a bloody disgrace and has totally ruined any enjoyment i get from drivin it. I literally take it out of the garage to wash it and then it goes away again so not getting used.

One things for sure I won't be falling for the VW build quality BS ever again.

I'm going to get an idea of part ex prices next week I think but not expecting much. Problem is the cars I fancy are cheaper than mine so to part ex down is always hard.

It's a shame cos it's a great looking car and is at OCD levels of cleaness/maintained but if I can't stand driving it what's the point in it.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline bcarlin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1309 on: 14 October 2012, 18:41 »
I have been looking at a c class merc 4 door