Author Topic: The "Get Fielder On The Track" Thread  (Read 7733 times)

Fielder5757

The "Get Fielder On The Track" Thread
« on: 30 May 2005, 01:23 »
Right. The time has come for me to take the big step from Street racing Boyracer to a track day regular. Im working a lot of hours through the summe and im hoping the extra money will let me get my car onto the race track and off the street. This is mostly due to police trouble and the fact that theres a lot of people on the street race scene when shouldnt be aloud to park a car, Let alone race it.

Problem is im not 100% sure where to start. The cars in good condition. Could do with an oil change mind you. But its passed its MOT, Ive lowerd it and fitted strut braces. Its got a new intake and exhaust system and the interiour is stripped. The breaks are still the standard 1.6 Driver breaks, however i heard that GTI disks and pads can be fitted to the breaks without any modifications.

So where do i go now? The cars almost ready, Ive read about track day insurance, is this 100% nessary? Will i also have to buy a helmet or can i rent it? And what other modifications should i consider? Also, what sort of prices / costs am i looking at from track days? im not looking to jumping into racing or anything along those lines. I just want to put my car where it belongs and learn new things about driving.

Thanks in advance folks ;)

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: The "Get Fielder On The Track" Thread
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2005, 12:25 »
deffo do the brakes first mate... is it shorter springs on standard shocks you've got too ? i wouldn't push it too hard on the track on those

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2005, 12:35 »
the brake calipers are the same as gti ones. you just need gti discs and pads.

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2005, 12:46 »
What have you done about Insurance Fielder ?

This sooo often gets overlooked and what started out as a fun day ends up in tears !

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2005, 15:23 »
Most places do tuition for first timers and beginners , i started with a "track day" on an airfield , the advantage of this was the course was changed during the lunchtime break , as for you car , just go out n habe fun you dont need to do anythin with it , i would recoment insurance , for 2 reasons 1 , if you go off big time n bend your car it wont cost you , and second if you crash into someone else you dont want to be payin for there repairs out your pocket , specially if its some thin expensive

Offline Golfboy Chris

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2005, 20:58 »
i'd do brakes first... 239s are ok as long as you're not heavy on your brakes while driving, and that you aren't doing too longer sessions. otherwise i'd say go for 280s.. will see you through comfortably.

make sure brake fluid is fresh as old stuff will boil quicker and cause problems.

track day insurance is all well and good but at nearly £100 a day is it really worth it for a mk2 golf?? as for a helmet.. most places require them so worth investing... ones you can borrow are normally old and stink! lol

Click pic for website

Fielder5757

« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2005, 00:47 »
Thanks for the replies people  :cool:

On the issue of brakes. Im working over time at work so i can get a set of GTI pads and disks by the end of the month, Im also looking into doing a rear disk conversion as there fairly easy to do and 99% of the parts can come from a scrappy.

Ive looked into tracks and bedford airfield seems pritty good, a bit expencive tho. At the moment the cars sat on Boge shortened springs and standard shocks. However its also got front upper and front lower strut braces.

As i can work full time over the summer (on a 3 month holiday from uni) i intend to get to the tracks some time near september. This will give me plenty of time to buy the nessary mods. However im stuck on helmets, everyware i look im seeing £300 and £400 price tags, Anybody know a place where i can get a plain helmet for a more down to earth price?

Insurance is still a bit of a grey patch, A lot of confusing options.  :shocked:

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2005, 12:19 »
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/category_list.asp?CLS=MSPORT&PGRP=MP007&GRP=MC004

Your local motorbike shop should have basic open face lids from £100.

Do you really need discs on the back of a stripped out golf? If the fronts are good (gti discs and upgraded pads) I think the money coul be better spent elsewhere.

Fielder5757

« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2005, 12:54 »
i was thinking that, but if i can get it done for less than £100 it would be nice, would also fill a gap behind the rear alloys.

Cheers for the link, Im going to take a look in the local LOOT mag and vairious car boot sales for a second hand helmets, hopfully ill be able to get one for around £60, Also, With brakes, anybody have any recomendations for disks and pads? Im hearing pro's and con's for all brands and types, im just after somthing that will give me good stopping power and will be practical for use on a daily driver.

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2005, 13:04 »
Be careful with second hand lids, They can look ok but be knackered. I heard all sorts of horror storys from when I had a bike of second hand ones splitting apart with a heavy knock because they'd been bashed before.