Author Topic: mk2 gti / mk4 1.8t  (Read 4709 times)

Offline pottergti

• Not said much yet
Re: mk2 gti / mk4 1.8t
« Reply #20 on: 19 March 2010, 16:59 »
Tobe, if you don't mind my pence...

firstly, dont do the "mum's insurance" thing, i know two people that have been done by the police for it. it does happen

secondly,i was the same as you a few years ago. my advice is, Don't do it. get a non GTI car, spend the money on something that accomodates you age and your wallet. i made a 106 diesel, a GTIalike when i was 18 cause i couldn't afford the insurance on GTIs. after i binned that lovely car, being young and over confident. that stinked me because all i could afford was TPFT! pennyless i bought Golf MK2 1.3, i loved that car and over a few years i've worked my way through powerbands,Astra, BMW 325, Civic Type R, girlfriends MX5 taught me a lot about road handling. now i've finally bought the MK4 turbo i always wanted. its no less special cause i waited. but it will be more rewarding cause i can enjoy it to the full after a few years of experience.

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #21 on: 19 March 2010, 17:17 »
Great shout pottergti. :afro:

Similar thing for me really. I drove a 1.2 X reg Clio for a year, which was actually my Mum's and I was a named driver however I rarely used it. Didn't drive for a good 7-8 months after that due to finances.

At the age of 19 I bought the 1.8 MK3 GL you see in my sig, no power behind it due to it's weight but it's decent enough and I've had it for two years now, and come August I'll have 2 NCB. First year insurance on this was £1400 with Kwik Fit, who I cancelled after 4 months as I could go with Admiral for £900.

After Admiral I'm not with Adrian Flux with a (I would say) heavily modded car and it's £650 all in. Again on my own insurance. Once this finishes in August I will hopefully be buying a new car, and running the quotes I have done, for the car I'll be insuring will be very nice indeed.

Moral is, if you can't afford it because insurance is a rape then get something smaller and cheaper to run, it'll pay off in the long run. It takes one accident and the sh!t could quite easily hit the fan.

Offline luke

• I live here
  • When in doubt, whip it out!
« Reply #22 on: 19 March 2010, 20:49 »
nobody ever listens to me, get a small/slow car, if you want a mk4 1.8t, get a 1.4 3 and make it look like a turbo, which is what i'll do as soon as i get  a job, words of wisdom my friend, from an 18 year old  :undecided:
1985 mk2 gti type 19 8v
2018 t roc sel 1.6tdi

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #23 on: 20 March 2010, 18:01 »
i listen luke... :d im going to look @ that mk2 gti tomorow @ 11... if its...  :sick:   then i wont bother ... but if its...  :kiss: :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes: then ......................... :evil:

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline dubpound

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2010, 08:32 »
i had a 1.8t golf when i was 18 for 2200 and the mk2 at mo is 1.7 so dont know were u r getting your quotes.

try admiral car insurance thats who i am with they r realy good. :rolleyes: