Author Topic: When life gives you lemons........? Help  (Read 30204 times)

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
  • Don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining!
Re: When life gives you lemons........? Help
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2014, 21:47 »
Tell her to feck off :grin:
or just dont tell her?

Got £150 back
I paid cash for it and sold as seen
Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Head and turbo rebuild, jom coilovers, s200 induction, forge 007, anniversary body kit, 18" RS4 reps, Rtech remap stage1, turbo back stainless and miltek cat back

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2014, 21:49 »
The coolant is all good although the temp needle is very inaccurate, it ranges from zero to 90 but mostly around 70, the needle seems lazy IMO
Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Head and turbo rebuild, jom coilovers, s200 induction, forge 007, anniversary body kit, 18" RS4 reps, Rtech remap stage1, turbo back stainless and miltek cat back

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2014, 21:52 »
Sharki my missus is after you  :evil:
Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2014, 22:00 »
Sharki my missus is after you  :evil:

love you bro lolsss
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2014, 22:00 »
The coolant is all good although the temp needle is very inaccurate, it ranges from zero to 90 but mostly around 70, the needle seems lazy IMO
check it on vag com for any fault codes firstly,sounds most likely that it needs the thermostat replacing  :wink:
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2014, 22:28 »
That will be a doggy thermostat please ensure you use an OEM part that will stop the temp moving everywhere the broken term will be sticking open. I would strongly suggest that you change the temp sensor too. As i stated id be happy to help with the little jobs and scan your car but your miles away :(

I would advise that you dont use the car until you have a professional do a compression test for you.
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 20 March 2014, 22:33 »
That will be a doggy thermostat please ensure you use an OEM part that will stop the temp moving everywhere the broken term will be sticking open. I would strongly suggest that you change the temp sensor too. As i stated id be happy to help with the little jobs and scan your car but your miles away :(

I would advise that you dont use the car until you have a professional do a compression test for you.

Thanks again nino for the advice and kind offer, I will get the AA to come tomorrow and see what they say, if the compression test is ok ill do thermostat and temp sensor then see what happens? The car doesn't seem to be overheating but unless they been sneaky and taken the thermostat out?

Does anyone know a good techy that is not too far to help me out? Could get the car recovered there with my breakdown cover

Thanks again
Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 21 March 2014, 07:13 »
If you do a compression test and all is good i would very happy as your gasket will be fine. If that is the case i would be asking how long was the car standing as it may be stale fuel.

So if the compression test comes back fine then i woukd personally buy a bottle of slick 50 from halfords (its like redex only it works) brim the tank with tesco 99 ron. Change the termo and temp sensor. I would even go as far as taking off the throttle body and giving that a good clean.

Then i would perform a good service i.e oil, oil filter, coolent (G12), spark plugs and cabin filter. Then i woild take the car for a really long drive at least 100 miles strech the gears to push the slick 50 around and clean the engine.

If your compression test comes back as a fail you will need to get just hopefully the head gasket changed hopefully it hasn't warped the head.

While that is being done you may as well do the timing belt, water pump and ensure the engine mount bolts are also changed at this point because they are streched bolts and can only be used once.(see my build to what happens if you dont)

Keep us posted pal.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2014, 07:15 by Nino »
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2014, 12:25 »
If you do a compression test and all is good i would very happy as your gasket will be fine. If that is the case i would be asking how long was the car standing as it may be stale fuel.

So if the compression test comes back fine then i woukd personally buy a bottle of slick 50 from halfords (its like redex only it works) brim the tank with tesco 99 ron. Change the termo and temp sensor. I would even go as far as taking off the throttle body and giving that a good clean.

Then i would perform a good service i.e oil, oil filter, coolent (G12), spark plugs and cabin filter. Then i woild take the car for a really long drive at least 100 miles strech the gears to push the slick 50 around and clean the engine.

If your compression test comes back as a fail you will need to get just hopefully the head gasket changed hopefully it hasn't warped the head.

While that is being done you may as well do the timing belt, water pump and ensure the engine mount bolts are also changed at this point because they are streched bolts and can only be used once.(see my build to what happens if you dont)

Keep us posted pal.

Niño

Hello mate and thank you for all your advice, I went this morning to a friends garage who isn't the best but not a cowboy haha, we plugged the car in on a snap on scanner and it came back with a lambda sensor pre cat fault.
As for the oil sensor workshop warning that has been resolved, the plug had been knocked off the sump as it's low.
The car passed MOT emissions and with flying colours
As for the main concern...... Well it transpires that it's blue smoke that comes out, it's mostly when idle and when starting, once warm it's okay and under load it's not present.
Thee is no loss of coolant and no loss of oil in the last 100 miles

I ordered some bits but I'll wait until I resolve this issue first

Lambda sensor £75
Coolant temp sensor £11
Thermostat £8
Discs front £43
Pads front £30

So no compression test done yet but 2 mechanics say the head gasket looks good
Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2014, 12:28 »
You've already been given lots of good advice but most of it means spending money..

Whip the spark plugs out and look into the chamber of each gap - any liquid?
spark plugs in good condition?

ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)