Author Topic: Moving from a 7.5 GTI to 7 Ed40?  (Read 2723 times)

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Re: Moving from a 7.5 GTI to 7 Ed40?
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2022, 15:45 »
My thoughts:

7.5 GTI better looking, with better headlights, better interior upgrades and they sound quite good. The engine has loads of torque from just over tickover but is lower revving.

Ed40 has unique looks, unique interior with cloth but the leather gets ambient lighting which the cloth lacks.
The chassis feels slightly more agile, the engine less torquey but revs out well. Manual gearbox suits the car. The fluffy steering wheel is nice. The car feels special.

The Ed40 being at least 4 years old needs to have had a sympathetic previous owner.

The Ed40 also has swirl and scratch magnet gloss black everywhere so just think of the satisfaction of getting that all polished up…

Out of curiosity, if you were to be buying a used TCR now what kind of spec would you be looking for? Or would you take a Mk8 CS instead?

It would be getting PPF'd straight away after correcting the gloss black  :wink: It's actually had 2 owners assuming 1 business and 1 actual owner since it's on 23k miles with full VW history and the leather looks hardly sat in.

TCR wise - Sunroof, performance pack for Reifnitz and ACC, leather or cloth, dynaudio, 3 door in white, grey or red and importantly the Akrapovic.

A members brother on here purchased one a few weeks ago in black which had great spec actually but feel black doesn't do the TCR justice as it would lose the black details

It seems that getting a 3dr with a decent spec is almost impossible, I think I'd definitely want the Akkra although lots of people say to just not both with that?
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

chopper216

« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2022, 16:13 »
Got mine from Hurst, had horrible Chinese tyres on it, nearly killed me in the wet, so had to go out and get new ones put on within a week, went for Goodyears to try out. I would normally use the PS4s but fancied these. Getting the perfect spec is hard, those so many different ones about.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2022, 18:57 »
Looking at the pictures of your red GTI, that must be a real difficult decision you must be weighing up.

As much as i obviously like a CS your red GTI is stunning.  :smiley:
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2022, 21:05 »
TCR wise - Sunroof, performance pack for Reifnitz and ACC, leather or cloth, dynaudio, 3 door in white, grey or red and importantly the Akrapovic.

All the 3 door cars were pre the update with the Akrapovic exhaust. Mine is too and I think the standard exhaust is great, a nice deep sound without being ott. If a daily driver I'd say the TCR is the better bet. As a driver's car though, a 3 door manual CS with Recaros would be perfect.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 05 June 2022, 23:04 »
Out of curiosity, if you were to be buying a used TCR now what kind of spec would you be looking for? Or would you take a Mk8 CS instead?

Ohh, good question!

Without wanting to drag Will’s thread off topic too much I’d say my personal preferences wouldn’t mirror many other people’s.

99% would probably want DCC, and now I have hindsight I wouldn’t. So I’d take either car so long as it didn’t have it.
Therefore I’m probably the last person to ask.

Many TCR’s were ordered in as dealer stock so had various mixtures of options added, I’ve no idea if the dealers had any say in it.
I see a TCR as a pretty special looking and feeling car which was pretty loaded with spec from the factory as a run out edition. Obviously the Akra holds huge interest but mine didn’t have it and it’s not something I’d worry about having either as the standard exhaust was specially tuned to make its own distinctive sound.
Dynaudio is excellent so I’d prefer one with that. Not a deal breaker though.
A black roof looks good but a wrap is an easy addition.
All of the options of wheel look good so I’d not worry about which it came with.
Mine had a heated front screen, it was ok but even as an early morning commuter in winter I still don’t miss it.
So I’m pretty flexible really. Boring eh?

Would I choose a mk8 Clubsport instead?
Well that depends on the cost difference.

The TCR is way better looking and very close on driving dynamics, so a well specced TCR for just a little less than a boggo Clubsport mk8 would be quite compelling.

A well specced TCR versus a specced up Clubsport mk8 and a big price differential and I’d take the TCR any time. At that sort of money I’d rather have a specced R or better still an Ed45 than a Clubsport optioned up.
That’s just me personally.

I kind of like the Clubsport without options as it seems more err, Clubsporty
As a model I like it for its extra driving dynamics over a regular GTI yet keeping relative simplicity (not easy in a tech laden modern car) which takes me back to my younger days where an enthusiast owner would buy a GTI and do a few tweaks to make it go a little better, handle a little better and look a tiny bit better than it left the factory. The Clubsport has those tweaks already done from the factory.
And as far as driving dynamics go then the mk8 Clubsport gets the nod. Just.

So it depends on what a prospective owner wants. Gadgets, luxury or simplicity.
I like the latter mostly.

Bugger, I did go a bit off topic there.

We all like different things. And sometimes what we think we like we end up finding out we don’t. And something we are not expecting to like we find we actually do, sometimes quite a lot.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 06 June 2022, 12:29 »

Ohh, good question!

Without wanting to drag Will’s thread off topic too much I’d say my personal preferences wouldn’t mirror many other people’s.

99% would probably want DCC, and now I have hindsight I wouldn’t. So I’d take either car so long as it didn’t have it.
Therefore I’m probably the last person to ask.

Many TCR’s were ordered in as dealer stock so had various mixtures of options added, I’ve no idea if the dealers had any say in it.
I see a TCR as a pretty special looking and feeling car which was pretty loaded with spec from the factory as a run out edition. Obviously the Akra holds huge interest but mine didn’t have it and it’s not something I’d worry about having either as the standard exhaust was specially tuned to make its own distinctive sound.
Dynaudio is excellent so I’d prefer one with that. Not a deal breaker though.
A black roof looks good but a wrap is an easy addition.
All of the options of wheel look good so I’d not worry about which it came with.
Mine had a heated front screen, it was ok but even as an early morning commuter in winter I still don’t miss it.
So I’m pretty flexible really. Boring eh?

Would I choose a mk8 Clubsport instead?
Well that depends on the cost difference.

The TCR is way better looking and very close on driving dynamics, so a well specced TCR for just a little less than a boggo Clubsport mk8 would be quite compelling.

A well specced TCR versus a specced up Clubsport mk8 and a big price differential and I’d take the TCR any time. At that sort of money I’d rather have a specced R or better still an Ed45 than a Clubsport optioned up.
That’s just me personally.

I kind of like the Clubsport without options as it seems more err, Clubsporty
As a model I like it for its extra driving dynamics over a regular GTI yet keeping relative simplicity (not easy in a tech laden modern car) which takes me back to my younger days where an enthusiast owner would buy a GTI and do a few tweaks to make it go a little better, handle a little better and look a tiny bit better than it left the factory. The Clubsport has those tweaks already done from the factory.
And as far as driving dynamics go then the mk8 Clubsport gets the nod. Just.

So it depends on what a prospective owner wants. Gadgets, luxury or simplicity.
I like the latter mostly.

Bugger, I did go a bit off topic there.

We all like different things. And sometimes what we think we like we end up finding out we don’t. And something we are not expecting to like we find we actually do, sometimes quite a lot.

Some really excellent points there, I think for myself I'd like the DCC as it's an option I've never had before but I'd be interested to hear why you wouldn't take it?
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 06 June 2022, 12:56 »
Ended up passing on the Clubsport, too many cons for it versus a TCR. So I'll be on the look out for the right TCR over the next 2 years, dynaudio and akra exhaust being the non-moveable options, sunroof and performance pack being desirable.

I also saw someone that put a clubsport wing on their TCR as it really sold it for me...

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 06 June 2022, 13:06 »
Ended up passing on the Clubsport, too many cons for it versus a TCR. So I'll be on the look out for the right TCR over the next 2 years, dynaudio and akra exhaust being the non-moveable options, sunroof and performance pack being desirable.

I also saw someone that put a clubsport wing on their TCR as it really sold it for me...

That does look great, although I think the CS wing is a very expensive option to get it from VW?
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 06 June 2022, 17:19 »
Tricky one. Personally I prefer the 7.5 GTIPP manual for the difference in price.

I’ve driven a TCR and there wasn’t enough of a difference unless you crave power and don’t want a remap for warranty purposes etc. I don’t track my car so the PP/manual is fine for me for the road and I prefer the tartan to the TCR interior - horses for courses on that though.

Not driven a 7CS with the buckets and 2 seats but seems to me much more special and likely sought after in time.

Maybe other differences I don’t know about though.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 06 June 2022, 17:30 »

I always thought the CS had a different tailgate to a GTI, so fitting a CS spoiler on another model may not be as so straightforward as it sounds??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.