Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2789424 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5050 on: 28 July 2016, 21:32 »
cars don't get to look like that by magic, nor do teams of little elves come in in the dead of night to deswirl, polish and preen these cars.  :grin:

I bl**dy wish they did :whistle:

Imagine I'd you could buy detailing elves on cleanyourcar.co.uk  :laugh:

They could be dropped off by a drone in the dead of night, then whisked away when the job was done. Never thought of that one did you Amazon?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5051 on: 29 July 2016, 02:42 »
cars don't get to look like that by magic, nor do teams of little elves come in in the dead of night to deswirl, polish and preen these cars.  :grin:

I bl**dy wish they did :whistle:

Imagine I'd you could buy detailing elves on cleanyourcar.co.uk  :laugh:

They could be dropped off by a drone in the dead of night, then whisked away when the job was done. Never thought of that one did you Amazon?

No they didn't.  Time for Amazon to get their finger out.  I want a set of detailing elves!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #5052 on: 29 July 2016, 10:56 »
Not done anything to the car for quite a while, I'm ashamed to say not even washed it for a number of weeks. However, just thought I would mark today as exactly 3 years since I took delivery. During that time the car has performed impeccably with the exception of the a few rattles and the annoying buzzing noise from the sound actuator (which has thankfully disappeared).

I cannot fault the car for its ability, there is no denying it is a superb all rounder but I've never grown to love it the way I did with the TT. I'll probably keep it for another 6-12 months and then look to move on to something different.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #5053 on: 29 July 2016, 11:32 »
I cannot fault the car for its ability, there is no denying it is a superb all rounder but I've never grown to love it the way I did with the TT. I'll probably keep it for another 6-12 months and then look to move on to something different.

I still compare each car to my TT (2Lt SE Coupe). The GTD didn't come close, but the GTI is much more like it. No doubt though, in spite of the hairdresser's car comments, the TT is a very well conceived package that delivers a fine driving experience - if you can get away with just 2 seats. Have a hankering for a Cayman, which won't go away. It'll have to be a full fat n/a 6 cylinder though!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #5054 on: 29 July 2016, 11:48 »

I still compare each car to my TT (2Lt SE Coupe). The GTD didn't come close, but the GTI is much more like it. No doubt though, in spite of the hairdresser's car comments, the TT is a very well conceived package that delivers a fine driving experience - if you can get away with just 2 seats. Have a hankering for a Cayman, which won't go away. It'll have to be a full fat n/a 6 cylinder though!

Yes the TT is considered a hairdressers car and just a golf in a fancy frock but it definitely felt more special to me. Probably a combination of the looks and the low seating position just gave it more appeal. At the end of the day the GTI is just a golf and there a thousands of them on the road

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #5055 on: 29 July 2016, 17:30 »
Craig I have to disagree when you say the GTi is "just a golf". I would say quite the opposite. The name golf is the only thing it has in common with the lesser modes. Sounds like you need to get something better than "just a Golf" !! :tongue:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5056 on: 29 July 2016, 19:38 »
In some way I agree with CraigW, the GTI is a Golf and that's pretty ordinary. It was one reason why I was reluctant to buy one but it isn't that ordinary as the performance is exciting and lifts it out of being 'just a Golf' plus the exterior tweeks, wheels and the interior which looks great. I also like the practicality that comes with being a 'hot' version of a humdrum model something that put me off getting a TT. But, if I didn't need the practicality would I buy a GTI? Possibly not if honest. Oh, and on the car it doesn't say 'Golf', only GTI :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #5057 on: 29 July 2016, 20:40 »
I suppose one problem for me is that over time my senses have become dulled to its performance capabilities to such an extent that it doesn't feel that quick to me anymore. Also as I said because you see so many golf GTD's/GTI's/R's on the road nowadays I don't even give them a second look anymore.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5058 on: 29 July 2016, 20:53 »
I suppose one problem for me is that over time my senses have become dulled to its performance capabilities to such an extent that it doesn't feel that quick to me anymore. Also as I said because you see so many golf GTD's/GTI's/R's on the road nowadays I don't even give them a second look anymore.

I know what you mean, I wonder sometimes iv mine is broken but for me I've just got used to driving conservatively and forget what it can do if you put your foot down. I'm thinking of a pedalbox to spice things up a bit.

CraigW - I recall it was your goodself selling the virtues of a trip on the NC500, this is something that is near the top of my list for next year, was wondering if there was a better time of year to go and why? Any tips you can offer would be gratefully received. Cheers :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #5059 on: 29 July 2016, 21:56 »

I know what you mean, I wonder sometimes iv mine is broken but for me I've just got used to driving conservatively and forget what it can do if you put your foot down. I'm thinking of a pedalbox to spice things up a bit.

CraigW - I recall it was your goodself selling the virtues of a trip on the NC500, this is something that is near the top of my list for next year, was wondering if there was a better time of year to go and why? Any tips you can offer would be gratefully received. Cheers :smiley:

Watts, the NC500 is spectacular and you will love it, great roads and amazing scenery. One piece of advice I would give is avoid going during the School holidays so up here they begin the end of June and return middle of August. So I'd say end of Aug beginning of September would be best bet plus you can get some decent weather up here at that time. 

On your way up to Inverness where it starts its well worth going up via Loch Lomond and Loch Ness as some beautiful landscapes there as well and you might see Nessie  :grin:. Other than that get on the official website and look at accommodation and so forth. Plenty of whisky distilleries on the way up and a stop of at Dunrobin Castle is well worth a visit.