Author Topic: WLTP Golf GTI Performance petrol particulate filter query  (Read 16272 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: WLTP Golf GTI Performance petrol particulate filter query
« Reply #20 on: 31 December 2018, 10:19 »
My 2015 R's tailpipe are absolutely black. My 2018 Polo GTI+'s are a little sooty. I'm amazed that some people here report their Golf GTI's tailpipe are clean (not dirty.enough between washes to notice, or never washed the tailpipe and they remained clean?

I suppose you have to put your foot down every once in a while to generate that soot, creating a rich cylinder mixture that doesn't fully combust. Maybe sootchucker's penchance for hypermiling doesn't give much scope to generate soot?  :wink: or frequent long distance travel gets the exhaust tips hot enough to burn the soot off?
« Last Edit: 31 December 2018, 10:25 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 31 December 2018, 11:16 »
Mine are disgracefully black and sooty to the point where they no longer clean properly  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 31 December 2018, 13:42 »
I always suspected my car might have a GPF. Had it since June and the exhaust tips are still  pretty clean and the back doesn't get covered in soot. My previous direct injection turbo petrol car produced a lot of soot and had very black exhausts.

My car is a 7.5 GTi performance built in May 2018.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 31 December 2018, 14:42 »
Who remembers the good old days of 4 star petrol, when you had light grey 'soot' coating the inside of your tailpipe when it was running right?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 31 December 2018, 15:09 »
Who remembers the good old days of 4 star petrol, when you had light grey 'soot' coating the inside of your tailpipe when it was running right?

I remember it well :smiley:. And I can also remember paying around 75p a gallon (approx 16.5p a litre) for it too, back in 1977 when I got my first car. 
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 31 December 2018, 15:13 »

Yup! Too clean and it's running lean. Cue much fiddling with the carb and some swearing :whistle: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 31 December 2018, 16:12 »
Well I certainly haven’t been hypermilling lately and been giving the car plenty of stick (hence the poor current mpg), but the tailpipes are still clean.

In fact even the insides of the mild steel pipes are pretty much spotless and I’ve never cleaned inside them  ;D  (excuse the dirt on the pipes - just general road grime)

« Last Edit: 01 January 2019, 00:52 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 31 December 2018, 17:26 »
Yup! Too clean and it's running lean. Cue much fiddling with the carb and some swearing :whistle: :laugh:

Or a bit of trial and error twisting of the distributor.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 31 December 2018, 17:38 »

Or a bit of trial and error twisting of the distributor.

I was a constant fiddler with the timing and points and my old car did run rather well :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 31 December 2018, 21:44 »
I have a March 2018 GTI PP (built December 2017) and my exhaust looks like Jim's with the filter. Probably find all 7.5 PP's have it.

My previous 7.5 non PP used to get sooty exhaust in a few days of use.

As previously stated, I guess the reason for no DSG farts on the PP 7.5 has been found.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack