Author Topic: Price check - Gti  (Read 2695 times)

Offline the_roxbury

• Just got here
Price check - Gti
« on: 17 March 2021, 17:10 »
Hi all - new to the forum so hello!
Im looking at various GTD's / GTi's and wondered what you'd pay for this Gti

From a dealer, Red, performance pack, 65 plate, 36k mileage, sunroof, 5dr, vw service history, manual gearbox

think ive covered the majors :)
let me know!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Price check - Gti
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2021, 17:27 »
Stick the number plate into WBAC and add a couple of grand on top for a quick price check  :wink:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2021, 17:48 »
AutoTrader says £13.5k for private sale, based on good condition.

Add about £1.5k to £2k or so for dealer sale.
7.5 GTD

Offline ExeNS

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2021, 17:30 »
I spent about a year looking for a GTI performance pack and found pricing hard to get my head around some times. Generally, strong money is being asked by both trade and private sellers (and it went mental after the end of the first lockdown) I rarely found a car that was priced in line with what the price gauge sites thought was about right.

Example
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101017560052

Autotrader private guide is £13,200
px is 11,800
VW part ex is 11,900 (good condition)
WBAC 12,315

Private seller wants 16,000. That's high, and you'd argue that's why it's been on the market for two months, but you don't have to look far through the ads to find similar cars up privately for around 2,000 more than the estimates.

So is the GTI pp undervalued by estimates, or overvalued by sellers? I'd imagine there are some decent margins there if you're a dealer taking one in as px.

From a dealer, Red, performance pack, 65 plate, 36k mileage, sunroof, 5dr, vw service history, manual gearbox

I think it'd be rare to find this at a dealer, especially VW, for less than 16 grand.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2021, 20:55 »
The gross margin on second hand cars in dealerships is one thing, the net profit not quite so much, people tend to forget that.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2021, 19:12 »
Market is crazy right now so that car is worth £15k easy

MK7 GTi

Offline Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2021, 20:02 »
So how much do ye reckon would cost for me to change from my 2016 to 2018 both pp dsg?
Gti PP 2016 tornado red Dsg

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2021, 21:03 »
So how much do ye reckon would cost for me to change from my 2016 to 2018 both pp dsg?

Lots of factors to consider; mileage, spec, condition, service history, 3 door or 5 door, selling / buying privately or via a VW dealer or non-VW dealer. There are probably other considerations too.

I’d be doing some research; check what you might get for your car (WBAC, Motorway, VW part ex valuation on VW website), and check out what 2018 GTI’s in your preferred spec are currently being advertised at. That’ll give you an idea of the cost to change.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2021, 16:00 »
I bought a high spec 7.5 non PP a few weeks ago. I usually try to buy private at enough more than trade to make a realistic offer. You can’t buy Golf GTi’s or R’s at close to trade if they are low mileage and have some spec. I paid literally thousands more than price guides advised the car was worth as I found the guides were massively out of step with reality.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2021, 20:38 »
I bought a high spec 7.5 non PP a few weeks ago. I usually try to buy private at enough more than trade to make a realistic offer. You can’t buy Golf GTi’s or R’s at close to trade if they are low mileage and have some spec. I paid literally thousands more than price guides advised the car was worth as I found the guides were massively out of step with reality.

Second hand car market is mad because the lack of new cars being sold, so expect to pay over the odds right now, which is why im considering selling our MK7 to upgrade to a MK8 Clubsport or R...

MK7 GTi