Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 653860 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2510 on: 30 March 2015, 18:56 »
Well a year after having them refurbished, the whiteworm is back on one of my Monzas! This is after I have sealed them with Gtechniq C5 every six months and topped that up with fk1000p monthly.

Never want diamond cut again, seems to be the most popular wheel finish on new cars now though!!! I really want a set of genuine Watkins Glen, anyone know where I can get a cheap set?  :tongue: VW want £545 +VAT each!!!! :laugh:

I'm with you on diamond cut alloys Seabrook132. Great showroom appeal, but too fragile to keep on the car all year round. I had 2 of my 18" diamond cut Charleston's replaced under warranty last year because of whiteworm around the centre cap, but I've since replaced them with a set of 18" VW Rotary's in anthracite. I really like the Watkins Glen alloys, especially in anthracite, but went for the Rotary's, as they're much better value than genuine Watkins Glen; £300 each, but they were cheaper than that when I bought mine and I also negotiated a discount off the price. The Rotary's are in the 'Accessories' section of the VW website.

[/quote]

I'm storing my Charleston's until I eventually sell my car, when I'll put them back on, so it'll have a set of unmarked diamond cut Charlestons at time of sale.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #2511 on: 30 March 2015, 19:54 »
Never want diamond cut again, seems to be the most popular wheel finish on new cars now though!!! I really want a set of genuine Watkins Glen, anyone know where I can get a cheap set?  VW want £545 +VAT each!!!!

There a guy on ebay who occasionally has genuine sets for sale, tuning-lifestyle, he is based in Germany, the last set he had were £1080 for 4, still expensive, but half the price of VW. I have seen some good reps for sale for less than the cost of one from VW, don't know anyone who has had them though. Was lucky to get mine at a good price and they do look right on the Mk6, IMHO.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2512 on: 30 March 2015, 20:40 »
SRGTD: The Rotarys do look really good on your car! I've looked at them before and thought about them, but the Watkins are such a good looking wheel to my eyes and I can't forget about them. Saw that they do the Rotarys on Amazon of all places for £229 each so a set would be £916, not a bad price at all for new and genuine alloys!

mustard: Thanks for the heads up about tuning-lifestyle, might give him a message to see if he knows when he might have some Watkins available again. Over £2k a set is crazy and I'd deffo have to go for Rotarys instead but a set for around the £1k mark would be much more viable, especially with tyres too (though depends on what tyres, might have the OCD kick in to go to matching new set lol). Anyway your car looks awesome on the Watkins, i take it you're running spacers to clear the Porsche brakes? Very jealous as you've done to your car exactly what I'd love to do to mine (Watkins, NQSBBK and xenons)
« Last Edit: 30 March 2015, 20:49 by seabrook132 »

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #2513 on: 30 March 2015, 21:30 »
Yes, I can get away with 3mm spacers, but prefer to use 5mm for extra peace of mind.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2514 on: 30 March 2015, 21:34 »
Did you go spacers all round or just the front? Any more pics of your car?

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2515 on: 30 March 2015, 23:17 »

SRGTD I've said it before but I'll say it again. LOVE the Rotarys.  Never get tired of seeing them, especially on grey  :cool:

@ Dan have you done a photoshopping jobbie on a pic of your car with these?  Like Watkins Glen too but these against Tornado Red could be a winner.  Side by side pics with both wheels?
« Last Edit: 30 March 2015, 23:20 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2516 on: 31 March 2015, 00:20 »

SRGTD I've said it before but I'll say it again. LOVE the Rotarys.  Never get tired of seeing them, especially on grey  :cool:

@ Dan have you done a photoshopping jobbie on a pic of your car with these?  Like Watkins Glen too but these against Tornado Red could be a winner.  Side by side pics with both wheels?

Thanks Rebecca. I think they'd look good on a Tornado Red GTI too. They'd also look good on a DBP mk7 R, if you tire of the Petoria's, even though they are 18". :cool:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2517 on: 31 March 2015, 07:45 »
Thanks Rebecca. I think they'd look good on a Tornado Red GTI too. They'd also look good on a DBP mk7 R, if you tire of the Petoria's, even though they are 18". :cool:

Funny you should say that.  I'd actually prefer 18s on my R but I'm really not keen on the Cadiz, and don't want diamond cuts anymore, so 19" Pretorias it is.  Fortunately I like them a lot, just wish they'd had them as an 18" option, but you can't have it all  :rolleyes:

Rotarys on the R at some point?  Mmmm, don't tempt me, I've think spent enough on the car already  :whistle:  But if I do tire and fancy a change they'd be very high up on the list.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2518 on: 31 March 2015, 09:43 »
Ok here's a 'photoshop jobbie'  :wink:

They're both great looking wheels but I still prefer Watkins. They have a slightly more OEM look to me and I like the way they're sort of an update to the Montreal wheels from a mk4 GTI.

What do you guys think?  :smiley:

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #2519 on: 31 March 2015, 09:58 »
To be fair both look good. For me it would probably come down to cost so whichever comes in the cheapest wins  :smiley:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack