Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 653421 times)

Offline danpen1306

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2340 on: 19 January 2015, 21:00 »
So I joined the club over Christmas, went from a Mk5 TDI to a 2011 Mk6 GTI, and boy what a difference! I've been absolutely in love with GTIs for years and can't believe I actually own one myself now :grin: I've been browsing the forum trying to pick up on advice others have had but thought I'd introduce myself here.

Looking at aesthetic changes I eventually want new alloys (looking at the BBS SR) and xenons but obviously a lot of money to drop in one go, especially after getting the car itself!

First thing I want to do is get some Halogen bulbs to replace the standard which I believe are H7. I was looking at the OSRAM Nightbreaker, thoughts or other recommendations? is it worth replacing the H15 also? thinking of doing this until I can drop the money on xenons.

I was also looking at getting the LED replacement kit for the interior lights, where's the best place to find these kits, ebay?

Finally, are there any other relatively cheap aesthetic mods that you guys/gals can recommend?

Thanks!

I bought these for the interior LED mod. Really good eBayer and a very easy mod to do.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231298846773?nav=SEARCH
New - 2019 Golf R, Indium Grey, 5 door, Black gloss Pret's, Dynaudio

Gone - 2018 Audi S3 Saloon, Ara Blue, 19" V spokes, Tech pack

Gone - 2016 GTI PP, Black, 5 door, DSG, CarPlay

Gone - 2012 GTD, Candy White, 5 door, Charleston's, DSG, Leather, RNS-510, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors and a Big Smile

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2341 on: 20 January 2015, 11:20 »
Retrieved it from the airport car park in the very early hours.  Dirty, but free from bird poo, and thankfully no dings or dents, phew!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2342 on: 20 January 2015, 14:32 »
Retrieved it from the airport car park in the very early hours.  Dirty, but free from bird poo, and thankfully no dings or dents, phew!
welcome home oh bronzed one! Hope your teeth have stopped chattering by now!  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

s90

« Reply #2343 on: 20 January 2015, 15:35 »
Hi and welcome,

The standard headlight bulbs are pretty crap aren't they? I've just put some Philips Xtreme Vision Plus 130% H7 in my dipped beam and they are much better. I've had Osram Nightbreakers in previous cars as well and they'll be good too. As for H15 full beam, there really isn't a lot out there at all. I don't know why VW use this fitting!

One small cosmetic thing that's fairly popular is seat inserts. It's one of the only things I've done and looks really OEM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-5-V-Golf-6-VI-MK5-MK6-GTI-seat-inserts-alloy-trim-cover-TDI-GTD-TSI-GT-R-/161020148984

Ordered the Nightbreakers today as they're fairly cheap on Amazon and with prime - as you say the H15 seem to be few and far between, will keep an eye out though. From reading the owners manual the bulbs look fairly straightforward to replace?

Seat inserts look very nice as well, thanks for the link.

I bought these for the interior LED mod. Really good eBayer and a very easy mod to do.

Great, thanks for the link will get these ordered as well. Was looking at  this guide to fit them as it seems fairly comprehensive.

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #2344 on: 20 January 2015, 22:21 »
Hi and welcome,

The standard headlight bulbs are pretty crap aren't they? I've just put some Philips Xtreme Vision Plus 130% H7 in my dipped beam and they are much better. I've had Osram Nightbreakers in previous cars as well and they'll be good too. As for H15 full beam, there really isn't a lot out there at all. I don't know why VW use this fitting!

One small cosmetic thing that's fairly popular is seat inserts. It's one of the only things I've done and looks really OEM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-5-V-Golf-6-VI-MK5-MK6-GTI-seat-inserts-alloy-trim-cover-TDI-GTD-TSI-GT-R-/161020148984

Ordered the Nightbreakers today as they're fairly cheap on Amazon and with prime - as you say the H15 seem to be few and far between, will keep an eye out though. From reading the owners manual the bulbs look fairly straightforward to replace?

Seat inserts look very nice as well, thanks for the link.

Great, thanks for the link will get these ordered as well. Was looking at  this guide to fit them as it seems fairly comprehensive.

Autobulbs sell an upgrade H15 bulb, not a huge difference, but it is a bit whiter.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/White-H15-Upgrade-Bulb.html

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2345 on: 23 January 2015, 15:20 »
Finally got round to fixing the broken GTI badge on my front grill. One of the lugs had snapped meaning it was free to rotate slightly and sometimes would end up like this if I didn't straighten it. Anyway, new badge ordered from VW, grill off and badges swapped :)

Also I'm being sent away for 2 months tomorrow with work, so the car had a good clean and a protection top up with C2v3. Luckily I have some family members that can drop me off at the airport so I don't have to leave the car stood for that long and they can look after it, take it for a run every week and clean any bird produce off :). I'm gonna miss my GTI!  :cry:

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #2346 on: 23 January 2015, 16:57 »
Finally got round to fixing the broken GTI badge on my front grill. One of the lugs had snapped meaning it was free to rotate slightly and sometimes would end up like this if I didn't straighten it. Anyway, new badge ordered from VW, grill off and badges swapped :)

Also I'm being sent away for 2 months tomorrow with work, so the car had a good clean and a protection top up with C2v3. Luckily I have some family members that can drop me off at the airport so I don't have to leave the car stood for that long and they can look after it, take it for a run every week and clean any bird produce off :). I'm gonna miss my GTI!  :cry:
i would of ran it for you for a couple of months :grin: have a good work trip it will be waiting for you on your return
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2347 on: 23 January 2015, 17:24 »
Dan, you could always carry a little photo of it in your wallet, or just check your forum sig now and then, when you're in need of some gti love  :laugh:

Glad you've replaced the wonky badge, that would've driven me mad.  Have a good trip  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2348 on: 23 January 2015, 18:09 »
i would of ran it for you for a couple of months :grin: have a good work trip it will be waiting for you on your return

Haha thanks for the offer Charlie :)

Dan, you could always carry a little photo of it in your wallet, or just check your forum sig now and then, when you're in need of some gti love  :laugh:

Glad you've replaced the wonky badge, that would've driven me mad.  Have a good trip  :smiley:

I have many photos on my phone that I can sneak a look at now and then :) thnx for the the good wishes guys :)

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2349 on: 23 January 2015, 23:09 »
welcome home oh bronzed one! Hope your teeth have stopped chattering by now!  :whistle:

Hahaha, teeth are still chattering 

Going from 32°C to -1°C and snow was a bit of a shock to the system.  Still, can't moan too much as returning to maldives in August  :tongue:

Onto the serious business of ordering an R this weekend.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual