Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654169 times)

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2250 on: 31 December 2014, 17:27 »
I really admire the determination owners of black daily driver cars have. I just could not deal with the hassle. Black shows everything.. ive just spent today cleaning my old 1953 riley and that has a vinyl roof so only half of what you lot do. I hate black for cleaning.. I also detailed my black halfords tool box  at home as it was getting cold over the workshop garage :embarrassed:  :grin: I find clearing therapeutic.

It's either determination or stupidity not sure which.  But like you I find cleaning it therapeutic.  Still I could always resort to cheating like chris1h and get someone else to do it.......

Not!

Less of that! I love a good clean! these last 2 weeks have been a nightmare for freezing on a night so all the water made the road outside into a ice rink. was just waiting for a car to smack into mine :embarrassed:

I think the valeters at that dealership chris1h used have changed since mine was last there but I did watch them washing forecourt cars with a hosepipe and sponge... lets just say the do not wash labels and request was made clear..

starting to regret letting them now  :grin:
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2251 on: 31 December 2014, 17:59 »
I washed my Passat today after the best part of a month. There was very little visible silver paint on it, but now it's all clean again...for now. One thing about this time of year is I don't bother drying it, so that saves time.

I could really do with cleaning the Mk2 as it is still dirty from get caught in the rain on the way back from MOT in October, but I'm not washing it unless I can take it for a spin down the road to blow dry it before it goes back in the garage.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2252 on: 31 December 2014, 18:05 »

Come on Booth11, you are letting the side down, The hosepipe thawed out enough so i got the outside done ....

I'm sorry whitehawk I know I am, but give it a couple days and it'll be shiny again, then dirty, then shiny, then dirty.....

And no need to gloat with pics of your lovely clean car.  Reminds me, have you still got that ugly bonnet guard on  :grin: :kiss:

Haha I have still got the bonnet guard on. It's easier to clean under than a bonnet bra. Which I also have.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2253 on: 31 December 2014, 18:41 »
I washed my Passat today after the best part of a month. There was very little visible silver paint on it, but now it's all clean again...for now. One thing about this time of year is I don't bother drying it, so that saves time.

I could really do with cleaning the Mk2 as it is still dirty from get caught in the rain on the way back from MOT in October, but I'm not washing it unless I can take it for a spin down the road to blow dry it before it goes back in the garage.

Why the aversion to towel drying?  Mind you, taking it for a quick spin does clear the rust off the brake discs after washing.  I hate having a really clean car and spoiling it with horrible rusty discs.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2254 on: 01 January 2015, 11:16 »
Why the aversion to towel drying?

With the Passat and red Golf, at this time of year it's all about minimal contact. They both live outside, so the next morning will be wet again anyway. As for the Green Golf, towels only dry what you can see and I don't want to put a car with a wet underside back in the garage for it to sit there for the next couple of months.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2255 on: 01 January 2015, 12:04 »
Why the aversion to towel drying?

With the Passat and red Golf, at this time of year it's all about minimal contact. They both live outside, so the next morning will be wet again anyway. As for the Green Golf, towels only dry what you can see and I don't want to put a car with a wet underside back in the garage for it to sit there for the next couple of months.

I agree about minimal contact but if I left mine wet from washing, given the hardness of the water here, it would be covered in water marks/spots which can be a pig to remove.  Even if it does get wet again living outside, it's rain water so no lasting water marks.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2256 on: 02 January 2015, 15:18 »
Come on Booth11, you are letting the side down ....

Well don't like letting the side down, and could bear the salty filth no longer, so got the snow foam out  :laugh:

« Last Edit: 02 January 2015, 15:23 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
« Reply #2257 on: 02 January 2015, 15:24 »

Well don't like letting the side down, and could bear the salty filth no longer, so got the snow foam out  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:   NICEEEE    makes the car look a total different class when that shiny!
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2258 on: 02 January 2015, 17:04 »
Was that just done with a pressure washer or did you add a polish afterwards?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2259 on: 02 January 2015, 17:43 »

That looks amazing Booth11. Mine sadly looks like your 'before' pictures just now. I was going to clean it last weekend, but a burst water main in the area meant that I (plus around 5,000 others) was without water for 2 days :shocked: so had to put off until this weekend.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl