Author Topic: Leroys Anni 16v Replaced with a 20v turbo Cupra  (Read 7387 times)

Offline Leroy

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI Anniversary 16v
Leroys Anni 16v Replaced with a 20v turbo Cupra
« on: 10 July 2013, 22:44 »
Hello all, thought I'd start a thread on my 16v anni, after having 4 mk1golfs in my early days I was after something more affordable from the gti stable, I had short listed a jazz blue colour concept or my first 8v anni, not knowing much about it, I bought the anni which I was dead lucky with as was in great condition, spent the next few years cleaning polishing, replacing bits and got it looking like this....

But I started looking for something else to fix up when this came along.....

I quite liked the exclusivity of owning an anni, so moving to a 16v having more power and because only 150 were made and because this one had all the options ticked like sunroof, air con and metallic black paint, I thought I don't give a crap what condition it's in, I must have it. £450 later it was mine having never seen it. And when I got it home I thought I may have bitten off more than I could chew. Next pic is not for the faint hearted....

So I started to tidy it up, driving home I couldn't get 1st or 2nd, so thought it needed a new gearbox but it ended up just needing the linkages adjusting, i knew it was rotten underneath so had it all welded up and waxoiled for the mot, new brake lines in, bits and bobs here and there and then boom, 12m mot, taxed and insured and off we go, still looks tatty as hell!

So until I sold the 8v (no one could understand why I would sell the mint 8v for this 16v) I didn't have the cash to do much so I swapped the joey'ed lights, black badges, and momo wheel off the 8v, bought some plates, red anni stripe from halfords, new OEM polo aerial to replace the metal exposed one, got the rusty front grill sanded down a sprayed, new 16v badges, a load of missing trim clips, anything to tart it up without costing much.

In need of a clean but front end lookin better

Then with the money I had from the 8v I started sourcing more stuff, the suspension was sky high and a right state, seized and banging all over the place, so bought coilovers and replaced front and back top mounts and axle bushes with febi/bilstein stuff so the suspension side was sorted. Sourced a magnex exhaust as the standard one was rotten so you couldn't see the tailpipes. New starter motor, cambelt, big service, painted the calipers red again while it was on the ramp as well.

Some pics of the work being done...

And after a clean up.....

It felt like a new car, just needed a power steering pump which Screech16v kindly gave me, free of charge i might add. It was after meeting him and seeing his 1.8t mk3 that my intention to start on he bodywork took a back seat. "Are you going to do the usual chip, induction kit, exhaust and stuff get it go a bit faster" he said, "I've got some bits you might like from when I had the ABF in" yes I thought, bodywork can wait, I'm going to do the 1/4 mile at inters soon so let's make it faster!

Got a k&n induction kit for peanuts off eBay and fitted that myself after much dicking about (I'm not the most mechanically minded) which I know won't do much but it sounds purposeful at least and bought screech's old chip (he kindly gave up an evening fitting the chip ready for inters a few days later) and sorted out some air leaks and tighten up the top mounts I hadn't noticed were loose!!! Can't big this guy up enough, he's a top geezer!!!

And the next thing you know it's last weekend and its drag racing time baby!!!

Ill get some of me when I was on the strip when I download them off my camera...

Some nice shots on that sunny weekend after some pretty poor 18sec quarter miles due to my inexperience and getting my bottom smacked by the revo demo car in this months pvw and a 300bhp v10 toureg!

So that's all for now, next up is the body work, managed to source rust free doors, a bonnet that doesn't look like its been used for target practice and a new front wing to get rid of that horrible rust scab.

When I can afford, I want to get all the little rust scabs sorted before putting these on so it stays rust free.

On the way back from inters the back arch spat rusted off revealing his....

So I removed the other one to be faced with even worse horror!!!

So I'm going to look into the weld in arches you can get. The car is a keeper so going to cut out the rot and weld new in.

Will keep updated on the work.....
« Last Edit: 30 October 2013, 22:29 by Leroy »

Offline Leroy

• Here all the time
Re: Leroys Anni 16v Resto
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2013, 22:54 »
Oh yes after getting some stick for the exhaust sticking out like a dogs dick, I had it cut down a rewelded before inters so it should look a bit better on the later pics

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2013, 19:34 »
Much respect to you mate for your shear persistence and determination with this,if you need any help dude just shout!
You got some good pics there bud ,get the vids up! :smiley:

Offline Foreveryoungaus16v

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2013, 19:59 »
Yeah well done. Yes Mark is a really helpful and friendly guy :cool:

KW V2, TEAM DYNAMICS PRO RACE 1.2, EIBACH ARBS, DS 2500 PADS, BLACK DIAMOND DISCS, LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL, CHIPPED ECU, VIBRA TECHNIC MOUNTS, JETEX DECAT,  FULLY POLYBUSHED
163 BHP (TSR POWER RUN)

Offline Leroy

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2013, 23:34 »
More from inters, my little golf against a 375bhp scirocco demo car on slicks and a remapped 400bhp toureg with 1000Nm of torque I'm reliably informed!

Vids to follow

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2013, 08:42 »
Fair play for giving this one some attention, looks like you've got our work cut out though matey.

Offline Leroy

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2013, 21:51 »
Some 1/4 mile footage from inters for screech

http://youtu.be/zHJ_Jvvjkzw

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2013, 22:55 »
Nice work mate  :wink: Not really a fair race though hey.

Offline Leroy

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2013, 07:10 »
I did laugh when it was featured in performance vw the next day, if I didn't get him though I still think mine was one of the slowest in the queue. Defo do it again though.

Offline Leroy

• Here all the time
Re: Leroys Anni 16v Resto ***FOR SALE***
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2013, 17:37 »
Decided to put the Anni up for sale  :cry: its got a months MOT and TAX left on so if i sell it now someone can drive home in it, and take on the resto. I just can't afford to pay full whack to get the rust sorted, i don't know anyone who will weld on new arches and spray it on the cheap, but i'm reluctant to break even though its worth more in bits, as ive spent alot on it getting it mechanically right and its a 16v anni.

The doors, bonnet, wing and arch repair panel are all on ebay as well, put towards a new motor. Let me know if anyone wants any? And i'll keep you posted on the new wheels when i get them.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2013, 17:50 by Leroy »