Author Topic: MK8 latest info  (Read 42594 times)

Online Guzzle

• I live here
Re: MK8 latest info
« Reply #180 on: 05 October 2020, 17:22 »
The dark blues usually need bright sunlight to make them 'pop'. The rest of the time they can look quite ordinary. I used to have a Fiesta Zetec that was just the same.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #181 on: 05 October 2020, 18:40 »
The dark colour seems to accentuate the slab-sidedness of it.

The 18's don't do it any favours either and I'm not even normally in the "must fill the wheel arches" camp (for £1k) either
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #182 on: 05 October 2020, 19:49 »
Bit like a Fiat Tipo

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #183 on: 06 October 2020, 09:14 »
Really not sure about it, the rear looks quite slab like around the tailgate and lights.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #184 on: 06 October 2020, 09:50 »
Although the overall external design changes compared to the mk7 / mk7.5 are evolutionary, and this has tended to be VW’s approach with previous new models of the Golf, relatively small changes have resulted in a car that IMO looks somewhat ill-proportioned and ungainly.

There’ve been plenty of comments about the mk8’s ‘face’ and I think it may always divide opinion, although I think people will become more accepting of it over time. I agree with @Mag_Pie on the rear, but I’m struggling to put my finger on exactly why the rear should look slabby. I think it’s probably a combination of design elements. It may just be an optical illusion but to my eyes, it looks as if VW may have made the rear bumper deeper and the rear screen narrower, increasing the depth of the metalwork between the bumper and rear screen. Those changes give the impression of a taller body - almost SUV-like, and that’s not helped by the rear light clusters looking as if they’ve been lifted straight off the T-Roc. 

I agree that dark blue paintwork on a dull day doesn’t show the car in its best light, and IMO the standard wheels don’t do it any favours either (the wheels across the whole mk8 Golf range look a bit ‘meh’ to me).

Based on early reviews, the GTI drives well, and if VW provide sufficient financial incentives to potential customers, it’ll sell well too. However, IMO it’s not one of VW’s finest efforts.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #185 on: 06 October 2020, 10:41 »
If you search on Google, you won't find a single shot of a finished Mk8 GTI in anything other than Kings Red or White.

Probably tells you something...

Given that most of the available pallette is dark colours and people still like black.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #186 on: 06 October 2020, 11:11 »
At the moment the MK8 leaves me thinking that it looks 'okay' but not the 'wow' that the new model usually brings and makes you want to upgrade or fall out with your current car.

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #187 on: 06 October 2020, 14:13 »
If you search on Google, you won't find a single shot of a finished Mk8 GTI in anything other than Kings Red or White.

Probably tells you something...

Given that most of the available pallette is dark colours and people still like black.

Yes, although we have seen plenty shots of the GTD in grey. The VW website also has some images in silver. Apart from the red stripe and the twin exhausts they're pretty much the same when on 19 inch wheels.

« Last Edit: 06 October 2020, 16:34 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #188 on: 06 October 2020, 14:16 »
Really not sure about it, the rear looks quite slab like around the tailgate and lights.

To be fair, that's not the most flattering angle of the rear. Looks much better in this picture;-

« Last Edit: 06 October 2020, 16:56 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #189 on: 06 October 2020, 16:12 »
Crikey - to think I was having some doubts/regrets about choosing Atlantic Blue for my Mk 7.5 GTI PP DSG.  Suddenly I feel like a very lucky boy!  The Mk 7.5 in Atlantic Blue looks a hundred times better than that Mk 8 GTI - I can't decide whether the front looks worse or the rear?  It's a pretty sad state of affairs for any Golf GTI to look like that  :cry: