Poll

What version of software is your car running?

7 (8.8%)
24 (30%)
11 (13.8%)
11 (13.8%)
Something else
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Mk8 software version poll  (Read 102061 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk8 software version poll
« Reply #610 on: 31 October 2022, 17:00 »
Probably just means VW's crappy internet service is down.

That happens Simon...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #611 on: 01 November 2022, 13:24 »
Probably just means VW's crappy internet service is down.

That happens Simon...

Thanks Fred. You were right - to go home from the office I started the car and it asked for the pin again and was connected. Something to get used to I guess
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #612 on: 01 November 2022, 15:18 »
I remember this happening to me when I first got the car, it only happened once or twice and hasn't reoccurred at all.

Hopefully you won't see it again.

Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #613 on: 04 November 2022, 17:31 »
After a brutal struggle, my car is now on 1896...

All I've got to do now is to put back all of the settings I'd made... bloody factory reset the thing :(
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #614 on: 08 November 2022, 12:02 »
Well its been a few days now and I've only had a couple of hiccups so far... had a few warnings about manoveur braking not being available but not the daily collection of bongs from before.

Seems snappier now, starts quicker and I've finally got wireless android auto.

Supposedly its all OTA from here on.... we'll see!

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #615 on: 08 November 2022, 19:08 »
Well its been a few days now and I've only had a couple of hiccups so far... had a few warnings about manoveur braking not being available but not the daily collection of bongs from before.

Seems snappier now, starts quicker and I've finally got wireless android auto.

Supposedly its all OTA from here on.... we'll see!

Have you had your steering wheel replaced, too, Fred?

I got the manoeuvre braking warnings, after I had the steering wheel replaced to cure some other travel assist related "bongs" but, when I collected the car, I discovered that the dealer hadn't updated its software, simultaneously. I asked them why and they gave me some cock and bull story at the time about v1890 being exactly the same as v1896. Yeah, sure!  :huh:

Two weeks later, armed with video evidence, I went back to the dealer and demanded they update the software because of the continuing issues with annoying "bongs" and warning messages. Why, I asked, did VW bother to release a v1896 if v1890  had solved all of the system gremlins? They took one look at my video evidence, apologised and immediately agreed to update the software.  :angry:

I haven't had any problems since. Fingers crossed! :laugh:

Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #616 on: 08 November 2022, 20:55 »
No, not had the steering wheel replaced.

Had to have the sos unit replaced before it could have the software upgrade though.

Not been to any of the locations yet that caused it to reboot (yes particular spots used to trigger a system crash every time!)

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #617 on: 08 November 2022, 22:28 »
No, not had the steering wheel replaced.

Had to have the sos unit replaced before it could have the software upgrade though.

Not been to any of the locations yet that caused it to reboot (yes particular spots used to trigger a system crash every time!)

I suspect you won't have satisfaction until your steering wheel is replaced. I believe it costs almost £900 retail for the part alone, so you may have to push for it to be changed. On the plus side, VW are aware this is a common fault and you have plenty of other drivers on this site, who can confirm there is a TPI acknowledging the issue.
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #618 on: 09 November 2022, 09:30 »
There are TPI's out there but that's seemingly it needs someone to enter the precise wording about the fault symptoms in order to get the TPI displayed which allows the dealer to pursue the remedy...

Its a rather bizarre situation which I don't really understand - and I work with technology and am used to troubleshooting with OEM's...

Offline Salamanca

• Not said much yet
« Reply #619 on: 15 November 2022, 01:13 »
I had the steering wheel replaced then the 1896 software update and enjoyed a few months of wonderful fault-free driving until last week when it all started again.

It actually seems worse than before, with error bongs occuring every 30 seconds or so plus a new 'gear selector' fault.

I wish I had rejected this car in the first few weeks-I can't see a happy ending with it-they've had 2 years to get this crappy software sorted.