Author Topic: Wireless charger  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
Wireless charger
« on: 15 September 2021, 22:48 »
Was wondering how large of a phone the cubby can fit? On the test drive I’m prettier sure I put my p30 pro in there which has a 6.5 inch screen but I can’t remember tbh, was more focusing on the drive..

I’ve an upgrade next month and would like to be able to put it in there and close it. Also I assume there is some antenna in there to help with gps/signal?

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: Wireless charger
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2021, 23:13 »
I'm not sure about he maximum size of phone that will fit but I can say from experience that the wireless charger is as much use as a chocolate teapot.  I get the occasional message to say that my phone is charging (about one trip in every ten) but even then the trickle of charge it is getting is barely enough to keep the battery % at the same level.   Don't rely on it actually charging anything!
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2021, 23:33 »
I'm not sure about he maximum size of phone that will fit but I can say from experience that the wireless charger is as much use as a chocolate teapot.  I get the occasional message to say that my phone is charging (about one trip in every ten) but even then the trickle of charge it is getting is barely enough to keep the battery % at the same level.   Don't rely on it actually charging anything!
From what I’ve read it can over heat phones whilst charging as well. Tbh I’m not that bothered about the actual charging part, just want it to fit in there and for it still to be able to have decent gps/signal.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2021, 09:02 »
Your P30 Pro is only slightly bigger it seems than my S20 FE, which does fit ok. I think it might fit.

As others have said though, wireless charging is a bit rubbish. If you run nav (google maps/wazez) with wireless android auto it won't keep the phone charged over a long distance AND it will be so hot that it will either shut down or you will barely be able to pick it up afterwards.

Its ok for a small charge if not using AA wirelessly though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Dakdriver

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2021, 21:13 »
I have a Samsung S21 Umtra with cover.  Big phone, fits perfectly.

Offline scottdaryll89

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2021, 13:00 »
I find if you keep the flap open it charges your phone fine but close the flap and it gets too warm and stops charging

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2021, 13:59 »
Interesting Scottdaryll.

I'll have to give that a go, as I think I've always closed it in the past....to put my sunglasses on, now that they've removed the storage we had in the 7.5!
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2021, 14:36 »
On my old R-Line it didn't have the flap and it turned itself off due to overheating. I was charging it and using CarPlay (for route guidance) at the same time.

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2021, 00:41 »
Can the wireless charging be turned off? I’m assuming if you put the phone in screen down this would have the same affect?
I have a Samsung S21 Umtra with cover.  Big phone, fits perfectly.
Thats great. Was thinking of a phone this size (mi 11) with a slim case so it should work fine. Would have really annoyed me if it didn’t fit.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2021, 07:43 »
If you put anything metal in there it will b!tch at you... Probably the phone upside down will do that..
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC