Author Topic: This is not a b!tch but…..  (Read 5696 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: This is not a b!tch but…..
« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2021, 19:15 »
Well, for you boys and girls that have Mk8 phobia, yesterday I tried the mk9 out. Yep, the ID.3

Outside it looks like a funky version of a boring spec Golf, inside it reminded me of a Citroen Picasso hire car I once had the misfortune to drive for a day.
Looking at it I thought, yeah, the front end looks fairly err… wrong.
The side looks ok, the back looks a bit futuristic and the steel wheels look bloody awful.
I’ve seen a white one locally with 20” wheels which looked pretty ok but a drab grey with steelies won’t set any pulses racing.

Those of you thinking “what the hell has this to do with anything?” can clear off now, everyone else bear with me.
Right, the ID.3 is no GTI and nor is it meant to be (just yet) but it has 204 PS and 229 lb ft of torque so is former GTI power in a lardy package. However, the 204 PS probably won’t have anywhere near as much transmission loss as a GTI or R with cog gearboxes and Haldex thingies which means power at the wheels potentially won’t be massively behind a 230 or 245 PS GTI.

The ID.3 204 PS motor is pretty rapid at A and B road speeds so long as you’re in Sport mode.
The handling is pretty ok, it corners fairly flatly, the steering is typical VW and so on.

But the brakes feel massively inferior to the bigger Performance GTI brakes and the nose dives in a very un-GTI like manner.
The whole suspension and controls feeling is that of lightness and ease of use.
It’s a great package as a catch all mid sized car but it’s an appliance level of car.
Efficient at many things but devoid of something special. That ingredient X is missing.
Hopefully the X on the GTX will rectify that (at a price).

Climbing back into the mk8 Clubsport afterwards and there’s an immediate difference of feel. The lower roof and black sports seats are more cocooning, the dash and door panels suddenly feel Golf like again and familiarly solid. 
Fire up the engine and there’s that satifying shudder as the exhaust barks into life.
As soon as you move off everything feels taut and tightly bushed even at car park speeds.
And that engine!

Don’t write the mk8 off just yet  :tongue:  :lipsrsealed:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 21 September 2021, 20:47 »
Interesting post, thanks :smiley: I'm not against an EV but a car is more than an appliance to me too, I enjoy driving (most of the time anyway) and want a car to excite me. I'm also not totally against the MK8 either but I wouldn't touch one until they are working properly, tech to me is mostly a distraction so non-functional tech would bug the hell out of me! But this is all academic anyway as I'm not getting rid of the TCR just yet, although I still find the DSG annoying at times overall it is just so good I'd be a fool to sell it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Online willni

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 21 September 2021, 21:35 »
Well, for you boys and girls that have Mk8 phobia, yesterday I tried the mk9 out. Yep, the ID.3

Don’t write the mk8 off just yet  :tongue:  :lipsrsealed:

I like the mk8 in mechanical terms and looks, I just despise the drab minimalist interior that it shares with the Leon and A3. However it should not have been brought to market with the amount of software issues it has and it is unacceptable to sell a car that does not function fully, which is also why I hate Tesla. 

I've very high hopes for the mk8.5 which I also hope will bring forward a hybrid drivetrain for the Clubsport or R (I believe the normal GTI should die as it started a 4 cylinder petrol), as well as see a return of some physical buttons as Audi have come out and said they will be reverting back to.

If you look at BMW vs Mercedes in the 80s and 90s, the C/E class interiors are horrendously dated by modern standards, but the BMW's like the E30 and E28 are still nice places to sit with a simple radio and a heater, much like the Mk1/2 golfs.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 22 September 2021, 02:58 »

..... but it’s an appliance level of car.......Efficient at many things but devoid of something special.......Climbing back into the mk8 Clubsport afterwards......Fire up the engine and there’s that satifying shudder as the exhaust barks into life.

I've been mentally preparing myself, trying to get psyched up even, for the eventual domination of EVs, but this ^ is my biggest fear.  To be fair, I've not driven one, but I can't help but think most EVs will be drab and boring, once the novelty wears off.  To me, there's a whole lot more than just power and (instant in this case) torque which makes a car enjoyable and engaging to drive.

Thanks for taking the time to review the ID.  And contributing to my apprehension!
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 23 September 2021, 09:21 »
Maybe the ID GTX's will be fun.... I doubt it though.

Hyundai are also building N badged milkfloats too.

The problem with BEV's is their weight - even Tesla (who are making lighter and non-SUV vehicles) suffer with it. Their fastest thing is light speed in a straight line but horrible round corners. Not really sure what you can do to fix that.

I guess its all comparative though - when we all drive 3 ton battery packs, these warmed up ones will seem like a sports car...

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Online willni

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2021, 13:04 »
Maybe the ID GTX's will be fun.... I doubt it though.

Hyundai are also building N badged milkfloats too.

The problem with BEV's is their weight - even Tesla (who are making lighter and non-SUV vehicles) suffer with it. Their fastest thing is light speed in a straight line but horrible round corners. Not really sure what you can do to fix that.

I guess its all comparative though - when we all drive 3 ton battery packs, these warmed up ones will seem like a sports car...

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king...

I've hope for electric cars handling wise, as always Porsche's offering (Taycan) being the best in that regard. But when 98% of the public are only interested in straight line speed as they can't enter or exit a corner properly, we are a dying breed.

Better winning the Euro Millions sooner rather than later to pick up some of the proper cars before they're all tucked away.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 23 September 2021, 13:58 »
Tesla drivers are the worst. Charlie big b0llox on a straight road, then slow to a virtual crawl when the road gets tricky.

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 24 September 2021, 03:06 »

Agree - a bit like the frog in boiling water.  Before we all know it we're driving a block of flats thinking they're sporty

I really need to snag a test drive of an EV to better inform my opinions and options.  I must admit I'm  tempted by the Mini EV as a city runabout.  Perhaps the best so far at marrying efficiency and driving enjoyment?  Anyone here driven one? 
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 24 September 2021, 07:51 »
I wonder how the switch to EV will impact on the mods industry? Supposed to be very big business with a high turn over.

Also still can't see a new 17yr old getting an EV as their first banger once they pass their test....

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 24 September 2021, 08:08 »
I had a day with an ID.3 while my wife’s Skoda was being serviced. Apart from the software problems, which didn’t occur with me, and the lack of buttons, which I found to be as bad as reported, the car is very well sorted and pleasant to drive. Sporty it is not, but neither is it a pudding. If I HAD to have one as my daily, I wouldn’t be distraught, but it’s not yet a car I desire, or would choose. VW haven’t chosen the sporty end of the EV market to start with, but I’d say the possibility is there. We’ve a long way to go in the development of these things, but they will have to appeal to drive the market, so the equivalent of a hot hatch will be essential.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.