Author Topic: Moneypit Mk7 GTI  (Read 4354 times)

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
Moneypit Mk7 GTI
« on: 24 August 2021, 11:05 »
So to start off, I had a BT Forged motor Mk4 GTI which put out just over 300kw, so the replacement had to be something substantial..  :laugh:

And of course, no one wants to make less power than their previous bad financial decision/project/daily/toy

Along comes the Mk7 in February 2020 right before the world went crazy. The comfort, reliability (after some expenses and scope creep) and perfect all around toy and daily driver.

Some lovely toasted DSG oil (claimed to have been changed by VW 20k kms earlier)

And of course, the IS20 was never set to stay on the car, ironically I had purchased the turbo before buying a car as I knew I would be getting a mk7. A Littco L380x to provide the forced induction reliably and consistently.

A set of S2T Black Anodised Paddles - full replacement paddles just feel crisp and direct, noticed how the "cheap" clip/stick on paddles never have the same feeling.

And sh!t happens, sadly as it goes with many dealerships, nosense stories and time wasting.
I had been told it had full service history, remainder of VW warranty in place (89k kms) at the time of purchase.

Turns out the previous owner is a proper... they had ran into issues, had some crap work done to address it and well.. it was not right.

Here comes a full motor rebuild a few months into ownership. Not the sight you want to see your new car in so soon after purchase, but it is what it is.. Built stronger and a lot better than before.
It's safe to say it is "bulletproof". Forged rods, JE pistons, ARP bolts/studs holding it all together. iABED Billet Aluminum Rear Main Seal Upgrade to avoid any issues like the stock cover often faces.

After all was said and done, the Littco L380x was installed during re-assembly of the car and THANAS software loaded. Been running solid ever since.

Of course, the stock turbo inlet elbow would not cut it and was replaced with a RacingLine elbow. The rest of the intake system is still stock.

A little trip to make some noise as you do.

Couldn't be having a stock intercooler, this extra thicc cooler was installed.
The gains are substantial with such a large core and surface area. Prior testing with the stock cooler would see intake air temperatures keep climbing as you accelerate.
Now with the new intercooler the intake air temperatures drop as you start accelerating and flatline roughly 8C above ambient temperatures every time I have tested.

One pull saw 25c IAT with 19c ambient temp
Another saw 33c IAT with 26c ambient temperature..

Those tiny stock exhaust tips had to go, they were replaced with some appropriately sized 101mm tips (the stock tip seen inside)

Altitude adjustment as needed, I'll say I am never working on shocks/springs on this car ever again. Without the correct tools it's a proper hassle. But it's worth the looks now after all of the swearing.

The pillars got some love too, they were looking far too tired.

And some sticky tyres, had a few concerning instances with the old hard tyres which needed to be addressed.

Can't waste parts that are still working, right? Turns out there was still a little left..
Guess the sensor doesn't really work as a brake pad compound..

Just a little difference..

Pics for clicks

A good view of the Aerofabb spoiler extension adding some much needed character and shape to the rear of the car

Noisyboys..

Stress testing on closed roads (I promise)

The lack of puddle lights had to be addressed

Put down a solid 300kw 547nm on the dyno on stock intake, stock exhaust with just a downpipe and stock fuel system running E15 on THANAS software

Messy engines to look at, a set of RS3 coilpacks installed after the original (2014 dated) coilpacks decided to start giving up.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2021, 18:52 by DCmk3 »

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500