Author Topic: Gas bonnet strut anyone?  (Read 5236 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Gas bonnet strut anyone?
« Reply #30 on: 18 September 2021, 09:34 »
And here’s Mr Chapple fitting it!

https://youtu.be/a0z2RrHn2io

Sorry for going a little OT, but I much prefer his new wheels to those dreadful Vossen things  :huh:

I prefer them too. IMO the Racingline R360’s are a great wheel in a nice simple design. Not surprisingly, Racingline have a set of these on their own mk8 GTI, in silver rather than the anthracite version that Andrew Chapple has on his GTI; 

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 18 September 2021, 09:38 »
And here’s Mr Chapple fitting it!

https://youtu.be/a0z2RrHn2io

Sorry for going a little OT, but I much prefer his new wheels to those dreadful Vossen things  :huh:

Vossens really weren’t to my taste either. Though they say we’ll on the car. New ones are spot on.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #32 on: 18 September 2021, 10:05 »
I don't understand the hysteria about the bonnet strut...

Totally agree.
I've raised the bonnet maybe twice in five months of ownership and using the manual strut is no big deal.

Whilst on the one hand it might seem like penny pinching, on the other you get features such as the brilliant IQ Lights as standard. I know which I'd rather have

The IQ lights are totally amazing. Its been a while since I've driven at night, but the other night I did and was thinking to myself these are epic!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 18 September 2021, 10:22 »

Me too. I’d seen those wheels on racing line before and like them. I’d consider if I’d gone with a clubsport over the 45.

I think with the gas strut, it’s seen as lowering the build quality.  Only time will tell on the overall quality.

It’s not just VW, I’m driving a bland, boring 67 plate focus titanium 1.5 diesel whilst waiting for my 45. I came from a 7.5 GTD and the focus is utterly awful, the build quality is a disgrace from Ford, the rear door seals have fallen off and would hang out the bottom of the door, these got replaced by Ford and it happened again within 2 months. It’s done 37k miles and feels like a 15 year old car.

Sorry for the rant…. I hate that focus  :grin:
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 18 September 2021, 22:25 »
It’s reassuring to know that despite the dashboard gremlins and VW Transporter quality of door panels that a mk8 still isn’t as sh!t as a Focus.

Those freebie R360’s look well on Volkswizard’s car. Much better than those Vossen eyesores.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 18 September 2021, 23:00 »
I can’t understand Mr. volkswizard’s love for the vosen wheels. It doesn’t ring true, as a supposed VW OEM-look fanboy, they just look wrong on the car. To my eyes they’re an abomination, but “maybe” they look great in the metal?

The Racing Line wheels are a massive improvement. Hell, it looks loads better too when he puts the prets on it for track days.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 18 September 2021, 23:06 »
Having his pockets greased might have something to do with it.

And yes, the car looked really good on the T-Roc Prets too.
I very nearly bought a set of those when I got my Clubsport but decided to cheap out owing to the state of my local roads last winter.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 18 September 2021, 23:12 »
Yep, sadly I think it could be a pocket greasing thing.

Then again, any time he polls for opinions on instagram, the Vossens seem to fare very favourably among his followers! I just can’t see what they’re seeing…
« Last Edit: 18 September 2021, 23:14 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 18 September 2021, 23:50 »
“Influencers” and sheep maybe?
The royalties and kickbacks these guys and girls earn must come from the positivity generated and extra revenue taken by those influenced enough to part with their cash.
David Beckham didn’t make millions by dressing like a twit for no reason  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner