Author Topic: New to this forum and GTIs  (Read 1450 times)

Offline JonnoFleming

• Just got here
New to this forum and GTIs
« on: 25 May 2021, 11:18 »
Morning team!

As above, new to the forum. I have come to the car and GTI scene after 6 years riding stupidly fast bikes. Bought mine in October (manual)

Was hoping for some advice so I apologise for the bombardment..

Cold air intakes, what is best for the £300 mark?

In the market for an exhaust, the stock is just too tame and I'd like a bit more presence but not too in your face. I know the mainstays in miltek, cobra, scorpion etc but are there any others to know about?

Lastly (sorry) -

Does any one run or has ran the Revo stage 1 remap?

Cheers

Jonno

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: New to this forum and GTIs
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2021, 20:51 »
Welcome Jonno and congratulations on surviving the past six years!
How many pins do you have in your legs?  :grin:

The intake I can’t help you with, not really my thing, I’d much rather spend £300 towards a suspension refresh (assuming the car doesn’t have minimal miles under its belt).

Exhaust wise I’d suggest a look at BCS exhausts, especially their valved ones.

I ran one of the first REVO stage 1’s put on a mk6 GTI around 11 or more years ago and can vouch for it being very good. Lots of power everywhere and a cracking mid-range.
If you’re used to winding bikes up to a zillion rpm then you’ll soon be looking at hybrid turbos though! The GTI turbo has a fairly low rev ceiling. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JonnoFleming

• Just got here
Re: New to this forum and GTIs
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2021, 08:49 »
Thank you very much, Exonian!

Surprisingly, no crashes. Thought I better give them up while luck was on my side  :grin: My pa actually had me into VW from a young age, he's had mk1 GTIs to bay window campers and currently has the Arteon shooting brake and T5. Been around the block!

The car's got 61k miles on, I will be looking to do an upgrade to the suspension at some point. But again, the Web is awash with coilovers from brands I've never heard of!

I'll take a look at BCS, thank you!

Haha, yes it's very odd going from 16k revs to just 6k but I'm enjoying it, a lot more than I thought I would truth be told! There's a place literally down the road from me who does the Revo maps called North East Auto Tech so I will definitely look into that.

Appreciate the advice