Author Topic: Mk7.5 Stop/Start  (Read 8546 times)

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
Mk7.5 Stop/Start
« on: 12 December 2020, 09:52 »
Hi all

Changed my Mk7 for a 7.5 earlier in the week and the stop/start seems to work a bit different and just wanted to know if it's the norm. Both are DSG.

As I'm coming to a stop, maybe 2mph, the stop/start kicks in and switches the engine off but as I'm still moving it restarts straight away. Doesn't do it every time though. Mentioned it to the salesman and he said it's just how the system has evolved over time and it's the system pre-empting the car stopping. They are willing to check it out as I've got to go back for another issue but just wanted to know if that's what it now does.

I also find the auto hold a lot more sensitive. On my Mk7 I could stop the car and engage the auto hold and the stop/start never kicked in but on this one I find it a bit more tricky. The stop/start also kicks in sometimes once I've stopped with auto hold engaged, never did that on my old car.

Anyway, apart from this the car is a nice upgrade.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk7.5 Stop/Start
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2020, 10:48 »
It detects movement of the car in front of you too.... if that moves forward, it restarts the engine.

Could well be that...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2020, 10:54 »
 I went from a manual MK7 to a DSG MK7.5 and far prefer it on the 7. Yes, mine cuts the engine just before stopping and regularly restarts, very annoying. And then it takes ages to cut the engine. Do you engage autohold each time you stop or do you leave it permantley switched on? I find the later is best, just leave it to it's own devices.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2020, 11:35 »
It detects movement of the car in front of you too.... if that moves forward, it restarts the engine.

Could well be that...

I have been in traffic when it does it. I'll try it later when no one else is around.

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2020, 11:37 »
I went from a manual MK7 to a DSG MK7.5 and far prefer it on the 7. Yes, mine cuts the engine just before stopping and regularly restarts, very annoying. And then it takes ages to cut the engine. Do you engage autohold each time you stop or do you leave it permantley switched on? I find the later is best, just leave it to it's own devices.

I have auto hold permanently switched on.

Yours seems to be doing the same as mine then.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2020, 11:44 »

I have auto hold permanently switched on.

Yours seems to be doing the same as mine then.

That's progress for you :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2020, 17:53 »
Remember start stop also has a load of other conditions it checks... If the heating or cooling or electric heated window is on or gets switched on (auto climate for example) it will either not stop the engine or if its stopped, start it back up again.

I don't see how it's annoying really, just let it do its thing...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2020, 19:15 »
I'm not anti stop start, in my MK7 it was excellent. It's annoying in the 7.5 for the reasons I mentioned before, it keeps cutting out the engine and instantly switching it back on so it's too sensitive now, it never did that in my last car. They have changed the way it works and in my opinion it's not an improvement.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2020, 20:02 »
OK. This is the solution. Get rid of the feature by disconnecting the wee wire on the battery.
Simples. I did it v shortly after getting my 7.5. Never looked back.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2020, 20:29 »
It was changed because its part of their strategy to reduce the co2 figure. That's not to save you a few quid on petrol, it's to save vw billions of euros in fines...