Author Topic: how much does it cost to fit an RNS510?  (Read 3945 times)

Offline koop22

• Not said much yet
how much does it cost to fit an RNS510?
« on: 01 July 2009, 00:38 »

GTi the standard is the 310, so is it actually possible to fit/upgrade to an RNS510 after purchasing the car? (sorry if this is a stupid / obvious/ question)

If so, anyone know how much?

:undecided:

Offline gossa

• I live here
Re: how much does it cost to fit an RNS510?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2009, 07:39 »
You can buy them from dealers or there are some on ebay that typically sell for £4-500.  I understand it's just a plug and play set up and easy to install.

Why do you want one?  I had one in my Scirocco but have the 310 in my Golf, apart from the touchy buttons and 6CD the performance is the same.  I never really used the CD player or the SD card slot as I just plug my ipod in to both.

Offline davoaj

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2009, 10:12 »
RNS510 is the sat nav version of the touch screen unit. Cheapest reputable ones you'll find on the net will be £700 at least.

Think Gossa is referring to the none sat nav version.

Apparently very straight forward to fit though.

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2009, 11:28 »
Yes sorry, I was talking about the RCD510.

Sat Nav ones on ebay range from £500-£1200.

However, why get Sat Nav if you can read a map!!! :grin:

Offline davoaj

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2009, 12:24 »
Very true!

I'd much rather have a map on the passenger seat. Got lost in snowdonia on sunday afternoon and pulled out a map from the 90's, picked out a few bendy looking B roads and off I went!!

Great fun and missed all the busy main roads and alterntive routes full of people with their sat navs!!

Offline koop22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2009, 14:37 »
cheers guys. sorry i ddint mean the one with the sat nav. just the one what gossa was originally answered about. cheers.

reason i was asking is because im stil deciding between gti v roc ( i have no  kids etc  so space isnt a prob) and therefore i thought the 510 may just make look of the gti interior slightly more interesting if i was to go for the gti. jus my opinion
« Last Edit: 01 July 2009, 14:38 by koop22 »

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2009, 15:20 »
cheers guys. sorry i ddint mean the one with the sat nav. just the one what gossa was originally answered about. cheers.

reason i was asking is because im stil deciding between gti v roc ( i have no  kids etc  so space isnt a prob) and therefore i thought the 510 may just make look of the gti interior slightly more interesting if i was to go for the gti. jus my opinion

I know what you mean.  I have opted for the 510 for the very same reason that it looks a bit more special
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2009, 16:11 »

Well as you might have read, I chopped in my Scirocco for the GTI and am VERY happy, I think it's a better car, for me anyway. I needed to go for 5 doors and space for a buggy as have another nipper on the way.  When I test drove the GTI I was a bit underwhelmed in comparison as the Roc felt significantly quicker but since having the GTI I now understand why and that is that the GTI delivers the drive better with less understeer and torque steer making is seem slower but the fact is that it is a more composed car.

The Roc looks more 'special' and 'different' and it's a head turner for sure so if that is a criteria then consider it. In terms of quality and drive they are very similar, in terms of practicality the Golf wins, in terms of sports desirability then the Roc has the edge I guess. 

Anyway, if I was doing a factory order I would have opted for the 510 but I got a built car with the 310, I miss the 'twiddly bits' a bit but the functionality and sound seem the same. If I see one cheap enough i'll probably be tempted!

Good luck anyway mate, both great cars but the GTI is really doing it for me.

Offline koop22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2009, 17:21 »
cheers for the guidance lad. at the moment very tempted with the roc but by the time if i get it its gona be a bit outdated  :undecided: whereas the gti will prob be the new headturner (my kind of thing yes  :grin:). i mite just flip a coin  :grin: :grin: but yes when i saw the gti in real life with the xenons it looked fantastic and the roc was sitting next to it and it looked a bit outdated from the front anyway.

im sure you know that anyway  :laugh: :laugh:

Well as you might have read, I chopped in my Scirocco for the GTI and am VERY happy, I think it's a better car, for me anyway. I needed to go for 5 doors and space for a buggy as have another nipper on the way.  When I test drove the GTI I was a bit underwhelmed in comparison as the Roc felt significantly quicker but since having the GTI I now understand why and that is that the GTI delivers the drive better with less understeer and torque steer making is seem slower but the fact is that it is a more composed car.

The Roc looks more 'special' and 'different' and it's a head turner for sure so if that is a criteria then consider it. In terms of quality and drive they are very similar, in terms of practicality the Golf wins, in terms of sports desirability then the Roc has the edge I guess. 

Anyway, if I was doing a factory order I would have opted for the 510 but I got a built car with the 310, I miss the 'twiddly bits' a bit but the functionality and sound seem the same. If I see one cheap enough i'll probably be tempted!

Good luck anyway mate, both great cars but the GTI is really doing it for me.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2009, 17:27 »
iirc I paid £700 for the unit. £40 fitting from a local guy about 1year ago i think. Seeing as they are still going for the same price on ebay and the dealers are charging the same rediculous amount of money for them.... i would say its one of my best buys yet!! :grin:

Not to mention that I will be pulling it out and slapping it straight into the new GTi :cool: