Author Topic: Now it's Discs All Round!  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
Now it's Discs All Round!
« on: 17 August 2007, 23:22 »
I've had a bad run recently with the golf.  NSF Window clips broke so replaced that at a fair cost.  Then the cambelt and water pump had to be done as the car had now done 76,000 miles.  Now I learn that all my discs need changing especially one of the rears which has rusted on the surface.

I just wanted some advice as I've got the 16" BBS Split rims so which discs do I need, 288mm or 312mm.  I just want the stock item, not looking for a performance upgrade.  Thanks for any help.
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: Now it's Discs All Round!
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2007, 23:33 »
Any standard car I would just get some bog standard ones from GSF or eurocar parts.
ATE do some power discs but standard ATE are better than VAG and much cheaper to boot.
£60-£70 for new discs and pads I reckon.

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2007, 12:32 »
I take on board what you're saying but on the GSF parts website it states that for 16" wheels you need 312mm brake discs.  I'm really confused about this one.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2007, 14:25 »
I take on board what you're saying but on the GSF parts website it states that for 16" wheels you need 312mm brake discs.  I'm really confused about this one.

what you got? 1.8T i'm guessing.

if so as standard you have 288mm discs so its those you'll need.  to upgrade to 312mm you'll need the carriers and calipers off either an Anni 1.8T, an Audi TT, Octavia VRS MK1 and a Leon Cupra

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2007, 14:36 »

To be sure just a measuring tape and measure the distance from outer disc diameter across it should be (288mmX25mm) thick odd then you will know for sure! I doubt it will be 312mm, but I don't own a MK4 and I can't tell if your brakes are upgrades either.

Nothing to do with alloys it’s the caliper/bracket clearances which is more important.
Or just take the things off and take it with you when you pick the new set up. :wink:

Jay

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2007, 17:27 »
www.buypartsbuy.co.uk

Easy DIY job.  As man said, just measure the disc on your car!!!  :rolleyes:

If your brakes are standard & you have a 1.8 T???, then you will need the 288mm discs. :wink:
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2007, 23:55 »
Thanks for all the help guys.  That link for the parts website, is it a legit site.  It's just that the parts seem really cheap in comparison to some other sites I've been on.  Especially as they're selling ATE discs and pads at a considerably lower price than some other places I've come accross.

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2007, 15:13 »

if so as standard you have 288mm discs so its those you'll need.  to upgrade to 312mm you'll need the carriers and calipers off either an Anni 1.8T, an Audi TT, Octavia VRS MK1 and a Leon Cupra

No.......  You just need the carriers & the discs - Use your existing calipers & pads! :wink:

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2007, 19:14 »

No.......  You just need the carriers & the discs - Use your existing calipers & pads! :wink:

wasn't sure if was the whole shebang you needed.  Ideally i'd get new pads though so they bed into the discs.  thats just my preference though

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2007, 20:11 »
Yes, if the 312 discs are new, then best to use new pads. :smiley: