Author Topic: Dan_GTi8v, 20vt project  (Read 63118 times)

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
Re: Dan_GTi8v, err, GTi 8v :)
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2010, 23:16 »
Started sourcing parts now.
Have a mapped and immob defeated AUM ecu, and a loom on the way so I can start trying to figure that out. I know a loom will most probably come with the engine but I'd rather have the management sorted before I get that far as once I start it needs to be in and out of the garage within a week. I promised my Dad lol! sucks not having a garage of my own :(

Also in the process of looking for an ABF flywheel (think I've found one) 16v engine and gearbox mounts, and 16v master and slave clutch cylinders
After getting paid at the end of the month I'll be getting some VR spec engine mounts, qPeng downpipe and possible a merc sprinter intercooler, though I need to go measure up to make sure it will all fit

Finally it feels like I've started :)
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2010, 08:16 »
Sounding good. You will be really really pushed to be in and out in a week, but if you do more research that would ever think you'd need and put the time in during that week, you might just get it done, or at least drivable.

I'll let you know how I get on with wiring this coming weekend :)

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2010, 08:45 »
I'll have my dad helping, back in the early 80s he had an xr3i that he took apart and rebuilt so I'm hoping that will be a bit helpfull :P

I'm gonna try and get as much done as possible before taking the car down, so if all goes to plan I shoud be able to drive down thereand take old engine out, replace the brackets, mounts, etc and bolt new engine in the first day, then spend the rest of the week f**king about to get it running!

I've been doing a lot of reading up and asking lots of questions (not much else I can do atm!) so I'm hoping I'll know enough to get most of it done without too much guess work. Only bad thing is the more research I do the longer the shopping list seems to get!
« Last Edit: 23 November 2010, 21:27 by Dan_GTi8v »

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2010, 21:30 »
Got a few bits this week, abf flywheel came and some abf brackets on the way soon. Havn't got round to starting the loom yet but hopefully will start this weekend

Managed to de arch today, but uncovered quite a bit of rust! Birthday next week so I've asked to get it sorted for that and depending on the price maybe get the couple bits of spraying done that needs doing :)

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
  • Its Whats Under The Hood That Counts........
Re: Dan_GTi8v, Future 20vt project
« Reply #14 on: 24 November 2010, 09:11 »
This is sounding like a regular read for me to keep upto date on what you are doing, like it so far. Are you going to keep it gti looking or advertise the fact that you are running a 20vt?
I looked at getting a merc intercooler for my mk2 but i decided to go for something a little small but does the job just as well plus i found it loads easier to fit as the merc one is farely big.
Here is what i bought and after mounted:

I bought it off ebay for £70, small, light weight, good for 350bhp and the best part is its shiny  :grin:. Maybe worth looking into as think you will find it easier to fit and have more options as to were to fit it, i.e high or low  :smiley:

Id Rather Push A VW Then Drive A Ford. 

www.bombercountydubs.co.uk

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #15 on: 24 November 2010, 09:35 »
^^Are you not blanking too much of the radiator with it mounted like that.  :undecided:

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
  • Its Whats Under The Hood That Counts........
« Reply #16 on: 24 November 2010, 09:48 »
No as i am running a vr6 rad which is a lot bigger then the standard one and is able to handle it, the intercooler is only covering the top section of my rad leaving the bottom free for air and even then the air being pushed through the intercooler seems to be going through to the rad too, the engine temp seems to sit nicely at around 90 and never goes above it so alls good. I prefer this intercooler as it is a lot easier to work with and mount, the only mod i had to make for mounting it was to cut a section out of the slam panel. Plus the other reason for it is that i didnt want it to be on show either (sleeper look), i have changed the grill now to a single light grill and you cant really see it now  :cool:

Id Rather Push A VW Then Drive A Ford. 

www.bombercountydubs.co.uk

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #17 on: 24 November 2010, 10:04 »
loking forward to updated on the engine install. sounds like you and your dad will crack it in no time

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #18 on: 24 November 2010, 11:12 »
ebay FMIC ftw :cool:

loking forward to updated on the engine install. sounds like you and your dad will crack it in no time

+1 can't wait to the see the updates of the old engine out, new one in, etc!

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 26 November 2010, 07:38 »
This is sounding like a regular read for me to keep upto date on what you are doing, like it so far. Are you going to keep it gti looking or advertise the fact that you are running a 20vt?

I wont be actually doing the conversion untill the new year unfortunatly :( Up untill then I'll just be getting all the parts together and sorting as much as I can before dropping the engine in

Probably wont keep it GTi looking, aleady took the arches off and replaced with cl trim and the front badge is gone so all it really has is the rear GTi badge, which will probably come off :P Not gonna go out of my way to make it look like a conversion, but you will more than likely be able to see the intercooler so anyone who knows what there looking at will know its a turbo. Going for the same fmic LL has used and mounting it in the same place :)