Author Topic: MK1 wheels and badge  (Read 928 times)

Offline antgel

• Not said much yet
MK1 wheels and badge
« on: 23 March 2007, 17:12 »
Hi, I'm looking at a B-reg Mk1 GTi cabrio.  I'm a bit unsure about a couple of things:
1. No GTi badge on boot or front.  Iit's not a modded car - should it have these?
2. Steel wheels not alloy - were alloys not standard?  If not, what did the original steel wheels look like?  The ones on the car just look wrong.

Look forward to your answers, and all being well, I might have a Mk2 for sale in a few days.  :)

Antony

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: MK1 wheels and badge
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2007, 18:29 »
It should say it's a GTI on the V5, I'd trust that first as someone may have just debadged it. My old cab didn't have GTI badge on the front. I think they normally had alloys, but someone may have taken them off. Remember, the cab is 20 years old so a lot may have happened to it in that time.

If you do get it, then use the steels for winter and get some nice shiney new wheels to run in the summer, job done.

It may be just a carbed cabby i.e. clipper rather than a GTI, it could also be on the V5 as a GLI.
......now officially dubless.

Offline antgel

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2007, 21:45 »
I'm told the V5 says "Golf Cabriolet" and the engine code is a JH.  See http://www.gossip.co.uk/vw/golf8.htm.

Is this is a real GTi?

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2007, 10:26 »
That pic looks like a k-jet GTI engine to me. Throttle body at the top going down to the airbox and then on top of the airbox the metering gear. It looks like it's missing a pipe from the airbox down to the air intake below the radiator by the way.

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2007, 21:48 »
Gibby your a GEEK!!

my V5 doesnt say GTI it only says golfcabriolet too. but my engine looks like that pic i think, and i've been told it is.

My car didnt have a badge on the front, but you can pick them up for under £10 on ebay.  :smiley:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2007, 21:57 »
Gibby your a GEEK!!

Yup and you just love me for it. :wink: :grin: