Author Topic: LL's Mk3 1.8t Cab  (Read 438446 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: LL's MK3 20VT [Time to tidy things up]
« Reply #1460 on: 19 September 2010, 14:43 »
Thanks peeps. Thats my work, I'm being allowed to keep it there for a bit til its fixed. Woop woop!

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #1461 on: 19 September 2010, 16:58 »
that wiring reminds me of how mine used to look..  :sad:

you get some coloured conduit and self-amalgamating tape :afro:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Performance-Parts-Ltd__W0QQ_sidZ696116039?_nkw=conduit&submit=Search

also you could get some colour coded cable ties  :smiley: i found orange ones on ebay for instance

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1462 on: 19 September 2010, 17:12 »
that wiring reminds me of how mine used to look..  :sad:

you get some coloured conduit and self-amalgamating tape :afro:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Performance-Parts-Ltd__W0QQ_sidZ696116039?_nkw=conduit&submit=Search

also you could get some colour coded cable ties  :smiley: i found orange ones on ebay for instance

Haha, I'm going to go over it all with the auto-leccy and strip out what I don't need. I have a load of that conduit, but I don't really need it lol, most of those wires are just bundled there instead of removing them, only a few actually connect to the something. Most of the bundle is a load of earth wires that are all glued together. I haven't striped them out cause I still have a couple issues with the dash. The coolant gauge doesn't work as it should and a couple warning lamps are permanently on. I wanted to sort them out before stripping a load of wiring out.

I will be spending some time tidying the bay with new hoses, re routing them and also re-routing all the wiring.

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #1463 on: 19 September 2010, 17:27 »
sounds like a mission mate, good luck!

the last thing you want is dodgy electrics, sparks (can) cause fires ...  :shocked:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1464 on: 19 September 2010, 17:58 »
sounds like a mission mate, good luck!

the last thing you want is dodgy electrics, sparks (can) cause fires ...  :shocked:

:D Its not so much dodgy, its just not right. I did have the spare wires all safe and wrapped up, I only have this problem cause I was trying to sort out my dash lights and coolant gauge and I f**ked it cause I left the ignition live on the engine :rolleyes: Douche bag!

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1465 on: 19 September 2010, 22:52 »
Had contact from the Auto-leccy, says he's going to sort it. Ringing him tomorrow, so hopefully he'll pop over some time next week. I'll see how my time is tomorrow, but I want to start stripping stuff out the bay to take to the sprayers with the wheels, get it all done at the same time then.

Boost pipes are being powder-coated now :cool: Going to go over the boost-piping when I go over all the hoses and re-routing of things and see if it can be done better, etc.

More updates to follow!

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1466 on: 20 September 2010, 15:34 »
Auto electrician has been. Its the ignition switch. He's back to replace it. If anyone has done a Mk3 Golf ignition switch without a decent puller will know its a c*nt. Good news is he will do it and supply the switch! Sweet!

Wheels, mirrors, cam cover and inlet manifold are being collected wednesday by the sprayer.

Boost pipes are coming off tonight and will be handed to a friend to be powder coated. Should get them back end of the week.

Currently removing the offside rear disc guard. The stub axle bolts are tight! I will finish that off later; only so much I can do on my break!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #1467 on: 20 September 2010, 16:21 »
I replaced the complete inner steering column on mine as it was easier than replacing the ignition switch

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1468 on: 20 September 2010, 20:42 »
I replaced the complete inner steering column on mine as it was easier than replacing the ignition switch

That makes sense. If I was doing it myself, I'd probably go that way now :afro:

Another update coming soon. Just got home and got a lot done this evening. Will update this when I'm on my laptop. Cba to do it on my phone :D

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #1469 on: 20 September 2010, 22:45 »
OK, so the ignition problem is fixed.

Took off the other rear disc guard today