Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 989 times)

Offline Cliff

• Not said much yet
« on: 28 October 2006, 17:04 »
Hi people,
I have recently bought a Mk4 1.8T 1999 5door, 82k, Silver from Scotland (Straight swap for my 1998 Adui A3). When I finally got the car home I gave it a realy good clean and a good look over to check for marks etc. (I live on the Isle of Wight, so a long distance) I have a few minor marks on the passenger door, and on the back doors there is a small piece of black metal (like a triangle shape) that has got a lot of corrosion on it. Is there any way in which these can be replaced? And has anyone done this before?  Also there is corrosion on the boot handle surround are these very exspensive to replace and could they be sprayed yourself?

Other than a few minor things the car is mint, and such a lovely drive, I am well chuffed witht he car.

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2006, 23:52 »
Not sure what you mean by the triangular metal on the doors. You could spray the new boot latch yourself but aerosol paint tends not to be as hard and may get scraped more quickly in use.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline Cliff

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2006, 18:00 »
On the strip between the two windows on the back doors

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2006, 23:27 »
Ah, got you now. Probably best just to rub it down, treat with rust remover an repaint. Did the same thing on a Nova years ago, it worked well.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline chanson

• Just got here
Re: window runners
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2006, 22:43 »
hi there,

I'm quite new to all this as well, my rear window runners were rusted as well, so I went to the breakers yard bought a mint pair for a fiver and fitted them myself. It took a while but with the trusty haynes manual at hand it wasn't too complicated. You need to remove the door trim and the window to remove the old one and fit the new one. It was my first time doing anything to my car and it took all day but they work like a treat and make such a difference to the car.

I was going to just rub them down and spray them, but I'm glad i replaced them cos they were rusted all the way down inside the door!

changing them myself saved me a packet so the its up to you. You could get a quote from a garage, get the runners yourself from a breakers yard and get them to fit them for you?
looking back i'm so glad i changed them, you never know how far the rust will spread.

good luck, let me know how you get on.......(get a Haynes Manual)

Offline Cliff

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2006, 11:58 »
Cool, cheers people,
well I took a trip to my local VW dealer and a new set was £10 so I have them on order should be here today. And with my Haynes manual I'm sure I will be able to put them on. I would much rather have a new set fitted cause as you say, you never know how far rush will spread. It's because the car used tolive by the sea i think in scotland, and was probably never looked after properly. Now she's getting some nice treatment on the good old isle of widget! lol