Author Topic: Insurance on Golf Gti Mk5 17yr old need help plz  (Read 20894 times)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
Re: Insurance on Golf Gti Mk5 17yr old need help plz
« Reply #40 on: 14 June 2009, 17:58 »
Im full comp for £1500 with 1year NC

That quote, right there, is another big reason why I would never consider buying a car with any poke when I was 17 or 18. £1500 a year ! Wowser ! :shocked:

To be honest gibby, when I first got my 1.8 GL insured it was £1400 cheapest I could find, there was actually no difference between a 1.6 or 1.4 as opposed to the 1.8 so thought why not. I still don't have a NCB until August, but when I do, I can insure a MK3 16v for £750.

Insurance companies are the oddest of them all.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #41 on: 15 June 2009, 09:17 »
It doesn't sound like it's changed much though as I didn't look at anything above a 1.3 when I was a lad (a while ago it has to be said) as anything above that just killed you. But yup, see your logic, if it's the same price for a 1.4 then may as well get a 1.8.
......now officially dubless.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #42 on: 15 June 2009, 17:13 »
Im full comp for £1500 with 1year NC

That quote, right there, is another big reason why I would never consider buying a car with any poke when I was 17 or 18. £1500 a year ! Wowser ! :shocked:

Ye i know what you mean mate but last year i was paying just over that for a 1.2 clio so realy ive got a far better car for the money and to be honist il respect the Golf far more than the Clio

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 18 June 2009, 02:31 »
i think insurance companies have minumum premiums when it comes to new drivers and what you can insure for what is quite increddible. 

i managed to insure a tweeked volvo 360 for the same price a 1.2 nova,   nothing spectial till you think the nasty volvo had a reworked 2.3T under the bonnet group 5 insurance  :)   only cost about £600 a year to insure with the engine declared i went sideways for a whole 11 months before i crashed it
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #44 on: 18 June 2009, 09:55 »
So your saying you insured a 2.3T engine for the same as a 1.2 . . . . .. ooooooook ;)

Offline lovw

• Not said much yet
« Reply #45 on: 06 July 2009, 23:59 »
i think insurance is a rip of for young driver i think that u should only be paying big if u crash or get point or do something wrong.

in my eyes not every 17 18 year old drives like a crazy gi on crack lol.

i allways say to my self that i am still in my 1st 2 years and i could lose my licens in a blink of an eye if i was to do something wrong as u r only aloud 6 points.
when i was 17 i had a 1.4 8v vw polo mk4 and i loved the car and drove it like it should. and was paying 1600.

naw i am 18 with 1 years and have just got a quot of 1634 on a vw golf mk4 gti turbo 150bhp.

but on the other hand my m8ts just drive like right loonys and most of them  have crashed there cars.

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 08 July 2009, 15:23 »
 :huh: grammar, my boy...

Anyway, my first car was an '93 1.4 Vauxhall Nova that was £1,049 to insure TPFT, as a named driver only.

I'm 26 and this my first car with more than 150bhp and in all honesty, I'd be dead if I had that much power just after passing.

Driving is a craft that has to be learnt and to be honest, sometimes a bump or two is part of the learning curve.
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #47 on: 08 July 2009, 16:13 »
I'm yet to experience an accident, come close a couple of times due to other drivers, but either moved away from them or they corrected their driving to stop from hitting me :)

3 years I've been behind the drivers seat.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #48 on: 08 July 2009, 16:21 »
i think insurance is a rip of for young driver i think that u should only be paying big if u crash or get point or do something wrong.

in my eyes not every 17 18 year old drives like a crazy gi on crack lol.

but on the other hand my m8ts just drive like right loonys and most of them  have crashed there cars.

well done on contradicting yourself in the same post  :rolleyes: