Author Topic: TOP GEAR - Is it getting Worse? Last nights episode was pointless  (Read 12527 times)

Offline Raffe

• I live here
It wins light entertaiment awards! What else do you expect from it?

It has a car theme, they smash stuff up, cheat in races, just like the Wacky Racers.

They do have some nice cars on there and the News is interesting.

I love it!

Agreed, just a bit of easy watching on a Sunday eve  :cool:

If you want to see reviews of cars there are multiple you tube sites etc to do this!
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline DubFan

• I live here

It has a car theme, they smash stuff up, cheat in races, just like the Wacky Racers.

I love it!

If you want to see reviews of cars there are multiple you tube sites etc to do this!
The problem with plain car reviews, is they are all very samey. Take a look at the Auto Express reviews, they tell you what you need to know, but they follow a formula and stick to the straight simple review. Not very entertaining, this would have people turning off in droves. Take a look at their Mk7 Golf GTI review
Top Gear is classed as a factual/entertainment programme. It's based on factual stuff, but it leans heavily towards entertainment.
But as has where else will you find a review of a £250,000 supercar? Or a race between the latest Aston Martin coupe and a train?
If you're in the market for a family car, you can find reviews in lots of places and will be able to take a couple for test drives, but you're hardly likely to walk into a Ferrari dealer and borrow one for half an hour.
TG gives you the chance to see something you're unlikely to experience, just like David Attenborough nature docs allow you to see animals from parts of the world you'll never see.

That said, there are some pointless bits in the programme. The taxi "race" was pointless and looked a bit staged. The "Tribute to TV Centre" was also a bit of a waste of time. Considering Top Gear has never been filmed there, the only link is that they will have had an office there. It was more like, "here's an empty building, lets see if we can ride a motorcross bike around in it".

I do still enjoy it, but sometimes you do have to remember it's a car-based entertainment programme, not all of it is about cars and not all of it is that serious.

I do want to know what road that was that Jeremy tested the Ferrari on in Hertfordshire though. That looks like a fun drive.

Edit: Apparently that was in Scotland and they're not happy that Clarkson said it was Hertfordshire
« Last Edit: 09 July 2013, 14:50 by DubFan »

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60

I love it!

The problem with plain car reviews, is they are all very samey. Take a look at the Auto Express reviews, they tell you what you need to know, but they follow a formula and stick to the straight simple review. Not very entertaining, this would have people turning off in droves. Take a look at their Mk7 Golf GTI review
Top Gear is classed as a factual/entertainment programme. It's based on factual stuff, but it leans heavily towards entertainment.
But as has where else will you find a review of a £250,000 supercar? Or a race between the latest Aston Martin coupe and a train?
If you're in the market for a family car, you can find reviews in lots of places and will be able to take a couple for test drives, but you're hardly likely to walk into a Ferrari dealer and borrow one for half an hour.
TG gives you the chance to see something you're unlikely to experience, just like David Attenborough nature docs allow you to see animals from parts of the world you'll never see.

That said, there are some pointless bits in the programme. The taxi "race" was pointless and looked a bit staged. The "Tribute to TV Centre" was also a bit of a waste of time. Considering Top Gear has never been filmed there, the only link is that they will have had an office there. It was more like, "here's an empty building, lets see if we can ride a motorcross bike around in it".

I do still enjoy it, but sometimes you do have to remember it's a car-based entertainment programme, not all of it is about cars and not all of it is that serious.

I do want to know what road that was that Jeremy tested the Ferrari on in Hertfordshire though. That looks like a fun drive.

Edit: Apparently that was in Scotland and they're not happy that Clarkson said it was Hertfordshire

As soon as i saw that road i knew exactly where it was as its not far from me. It may look nice but its full of pot holes lol. The thing is the creators of TG are not obligated to be factual. All the races are staged at edited to look more appealing.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Raffe

• I live here
I live 5 miles from Letchworth and knew it wasn't there  :grin:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
The programme is ridiculous. I haven't watched it in years. I feel it is all pointless and stupid. 3 over paid sell outs, maybe 2, prancing around in super cars and trying to be funny.

James May is far more than that show I feel, but RH and that thingy JC need to call their time on TG.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
The programme is ridiculous. I haven't watched it in years. I feel it is all pointless and stupid. 3 over paid sell outs, maybe 2, prancing around in super cars and trying to be funny.

James May is far more than that show I feel, but RH and that thingy JC need to call their time on TG.

Without JC their is no top gear or he would have been sacked a long time ago.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU

Sacked? Wasn't it his 'co-idea' and he cant be sacked? presuming im not just making stuff up  :grin:
« Last Edit: 09 July 2013, 20:44 by leigh_harty »
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60

Sacked? Wasn't is 'co-idea' and he cant be sacked? presuming im not just making stuff up  :grin:

lol....he falls outside the norm of a maintream presenter. Old, fat, bad teeth and non existent fashion. But his personality makes him popular. A rarety almost.

Offline academygaz

• Just got here
Sacked? Wasn't it his 'co-idea' and he cant be sacked? presuming im not just making stuff up  :grin:

Yep, he and Andy Willman own the concept and rights to Top Gear and have sold the format all around the world, making a shedload of cash in the process.

The only problem I have with TG is the obviously scripted stuff. It wasn't sooooo obvious in the past when things broke or fell off. Now, they engineer the cars to do that, or set things up in such a way that its the only conclusion.

Its getting more like Last Of The Summer Wine every year.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60

Yep, he and Andy Willman own the concept and rights to Top Gear and have sold the format all around the world, making a shedload of cash in the process.

The only problem I have with TG is the obviously scripted stuff. It wasn't sooooo obvious in the past when things broke or fell off. Now, they engineer the cars to do that, or set things up in such a way that its the only conclusion.

Its getting more like Last Of The Summer Wine every year.

Near on all entertainment programmes are scipted. It saves time and money. Why go off location with a film crew and film randomly with the chance nothing interesting will happen when you can write a script, organise and film it and get home for your tea. TG has followed this concept since its relaunch. It does suck but people buy into it. Even me.